Sunny Sunday in Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
May 25th 2014
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -27.4676, 153.028

Our morning started quite early today. We set out for a Sunday only market on the Eagle Street Pier. The stalls were occupied by artists and others selling their goods. There was jewelry, clothes, paintings, toys, massages, and hats. The area was very crowded since the nearest building was having a Climb for a Cure fund raiser going on. There were hundreds of climbers along with their supporters waiting for their time to climb the steps of a high rise on Eagle Pier. Their was a band playing and lots of cheering happening.

Our next stop was Saint Stephen's Cathedral to attend Mass. The hymns that were sung are the same ones we have been singing at home. With the exception of the stained glass windows the Cathedral was plain and simple. They must have many parishioners because they have Saturday night Masses and four Masses on Sunday.

After Church we made our way to the North Quay ferry stop. This is a hop on-hop off ferry that goes up and down the river making stops at all the attractions along the way. You can choose to get off wherever you choose or stay put and just enjoy the scenery and the ride. We chose to just ride since many of the stops were places we had already seen. The ride took close to two hours. It was soooooo relaxing!

This afternoon we returned to the South Bank to visit the Cultural Center. We went to the Queensland Museum and the State Library. The museum had exhibits about the history of Australia and its inhabitants. There were exhibits showing the different insects, snakes, birds, fish, shells, reptiles and prehistoric animals. One section was devoted to the history of the aborigines from this area. It spoke about the tribes, their way of life and their history over the years.

The State Library had an exhibition about animation and its connection to the history of Australian people.

Today being Sunday most of the attractions and businesses were closing by 4 or 5 o'clock so we decided to head for home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



25th May 2014

I'm impressed with how clean everything looks. Is it like that everywhere? Beautiful country, perfect weather, much to see and do. Hope you're enjoying. Still waiting for a food picture, please.
25th May 2014

It's so nice when we're all singing from the same hymnal...and good to find a Catholic Church to go to on vacation.

Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb