More to Explore in Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
May 24th 2014
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -27.4676, 153.028

It was a perfect morning for a bike ride so we took advantage of it. We rode through the City Botanical Gardens. There are pedestrian and biking paths throughout the garden. The paths also lead out to a path which follows along the river for several miles. So we journeyed on along with many other people who were out enjoying the morning. Along the path we stopped for a few minutes to watch some people climbing the side of a cliff which skirted the path at one point. Once we reached the end of the path we returned to the garden to follow a few of the side paths. It was interesting to watch the gardeners planting begonias in the flower beds when this is considered their winter.

The afternoon was spent in the neighborhood of Fortitude Valley. We walked three streets there which are known for different reasons. Brunswick Street has a history of eccentric characters and stores with unique and innovative designs. Wickham Drive has shops with urban and street wear as well as sporting and outdoor adventure stores. Our next street was the China Town Mall which draws in as many locals as tourists. It is lined with Chinese supermarkets, shops and restaurants. In the center of the open air mall area were the Valley Markets which is known for original locally designed and made creations. It's a favorite spot for vintage apparel too. A street performer was entertaining the crowds with her singing for onlookers to enjoy.

Tonight we returned to the Queen Street Mall. We stopped in one of the open air eateries to listen to a local singer and enjoy a liquid refreshment. Even though we were outdoors we were surrounded by large screen tv's which all had a different rugby game tuned in. The locals are also anticipating the upcoming World CupSoccer..

We walked through the Old Treasury Casino. It is a very old building with slot machines in all different little rooms. It did not have all the glitz and glamor of the casinos in Melbourne and Sydney. This one was also quite crowded.

We returned to the South Bank again tonight to see what was happening there. The crafters that were there last night were still there displaying and selling their wares. Shortly after we arrived a fire works display began over the river which was nice to watch. It added to the festive atmosphere in the streets. It was a perfect way to end our night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Brisbane RiverBrisbane River
Brisbane River

House boats
Brunswick StreetBrunswick Street
Brunswick Street

Neighborhood shopping
Wickham StreetWickham Street
Wickham Street

Old neighborhood


25th May 2014

You seem to be having the perfect traveling weather. Australia is so scenic, beautiful photos.

Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb