Day 124 Australia, Carins, Botanical Gardens.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
March 19th 2015
Published: March 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hey Bloggers,



This morning was cloudy and had intermittent heavy rain showers, so sunbathing at the lagoon was off the cards. We decided to walk to the Tanks Museum; basically they are old fuel tanks from WW2 which were used to fuel all the planes from Cairns Airport.



We had to walk 3.5KM to get there and once we were there we found it was inside the Botanical Gardens. The Tanks were not brilliant one was used as and Art gallery, this was good, the other two however were used for music shows and the other for function and these two were closed.



After looking at the art we found there were looks of walks around the botanical gardens, the visitor Centre were really helpful and explained the best walks and routes, supplied us with maps and sent us on our way!! (Very impressed)



We walked around the first area, which had plants from many different countries, also there were signs explaining the plant, where it came from and its medicinal properties. The Second area was all about the evolution of the earth, explaining how the world started as Pangea and how Australia mainly was formed over the last millions and millions of years.



All this walking got Vicks belly rumbling so we had a quick stop at the café for a coke and a slice of cake.



Our third and last walk was up hill to a look out point over the airport, the sea and in the distant Green Island, this was a harder walk and had us sweating as it was uphill and so so hot!!!!



We made out way back to have some lunch!! (8 miles before lunch is hell of a hike!!) We had beans and Spaghetti & Meatballs on toast for lunch!! Cheap and tasty!!!



We then had a nice relaxing afternoon chatting with people in the hostel, swimming, reading, and a nice long nap!!!! (Preparing for our night on the town)



I went out and got us a bag of goon from the local bottle shop (goon is a bag of wine which, is only $12), we all sat outside chatting there were about 30 of use and all had special T-shirt we designed in the afternoon. For $15 we got a free T-shirt, 3 free drinks in the bars, Free wifi for the week and free pizza that evening!! (BARGIAN)



We all eat drank and had a great laugh until around 2130 when we hit the town, We went to 3 clubs and played game sand everything, everyone was drunk and had a great night!!! We headed home late and got lost L but eventually got home and were both asleep quickly!! (Apart fro the new guy in our dorm snoring worse than me!!!!!)



Lots of Love N&V X


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb