Australia - You've Seen the Movie.. We've bought some of it!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
December 5th 2008
Published: January 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

AustraliaAustraliaAustralia

They look just like us
Last week we visited our local cinema and sat through 3hrs 10 minutes of the epic new movie 'Australia' by Baz Luhrman.

The opening was preceded with much hype and although entertaining, it never lived up to expectations despite a couple of good performances and some magnificent scenery, alongside a feature film exposition of the tragic 'stolen generations' story.

I tell you this because another epic is about to begin as we have in the last 24 hours bought our very own little piece of Australia (and I don't mean the movie) at 133 Morehead Avenue Norman Park 4170 (about 10 mins from our current house).

27 years ago in the snow of December 1981, we purchased our very first home (building project), which became affectionately known as 'Murphy Mansions' and the sequel Murphy Mansions II is about to be launched!

Our new home is constructed of timber framing with a bright new corrugated tin roof and stands on stilts about 1.9m at the front and 1.6m at the back and sits on a block of 607sq.m. (about 6000sq.ft. for those of you still working in old money). The house was constructed in 1951 and has been little altered since (until we start in a few weeks time). The external walls are 100mm (4") thick and are uninsulated.

We plan to raise it by about 1.5m (5') and move it forward about 2m to build underneath and minimise the need for excavation at the rear which has a slightly higher ground level. We will store what we can in the huge tin double garage until downstairs is framed-out, then demolish the garage to build a swimming pool. We are so excited about the prospects!

In the garden we have a coconut palm and our very own banana trees - but we haven't tasted any yet.

Baz Luhrman won't be there to film the epic, but we will. The purchase completes on 9th January and we move in on 16th - watch this space.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The 1951 KitchenThe 1951 Kitchen
The 1951 Kitchen

All reasonable offers considered....................
Unspoilt Domestic CharmUnspoilt Domestic Charm
Unspoilt Domestic Charm

The second time we have acquired property with those gorgeous, iconic flying ducks - and both times they disappeared before we took posession!!
A Room with No ViewA Room with No View
A Room with No View

Wouldn't you Kill for a Bathroom like this?


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb