Couldn't find his way out of a paperbag!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Alexander Headland
December 4th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The UnveilingThe UnveilingThe Unveiling

The first site of our new Camper trailer
Well the day finally arrived, it was like our Christmas come early, today was the day that our Camper trailer was ready, and we were ready to collect it.

Other things had to happen first, complete the blog for Wednesday and publish it, ensure the money was in the correct account for the bank transfer.

We had our morning ritual at Starbucks, a small coffee each as both Caroline and myself need to loose some weight.

We arrived at Country campers and were made very welcome as usual, all the team seemed happy to see us as they new what we were collecting today, Arron and his new assistant Travis greeted us and Arron had confirmed he had read the blog, I am so pleased as we put a lot of effort in to doing it, and it’s nice when people confirm that they have at least read it.

The trailer was ready for us, and they wanted to go through the setting up of it. I have to say that the development of this camper trailer was all done by country campers and its very well though out. (A simple operation for simple people) and its
Talking it ThroughTalking it ThroughTalking it Through

Here Andy talks to Jarrod about the operation of the trailer
beautifully made.
7x4, single off road axel, heavy galvanized structure, designed to meet Australia’s climate and conditions.
We have been warned about the “Corrugated” roads up North, where the roads are graded but the constant severe vibrations can destroy less well made structures.

One of the reasons we went for the trailer was to alleviate all the stuff from the truck, the storage in the trailer is immense, it can easily take our cases the swag, chairs, tables, in fact all of the stuff we will have for the trip, the only thing left in the truck will be the fridge and the jerry can, oh and the 25 litres of water, which has diminished very quickly.
Finally on this subject it is very rare that a company excels, in all aspects, yet we find ourselves thinking the Camping Country fits that ideal. What a company, its truly based on family values and service.

As Caroline had driven the Nissan Patrol off the sales lot when we purchased it, I thought it only fitting that she did the same when we hitched the new trailer on. I think the length of the Patrol plus the trailer, which has a long drawbar has got to be 25ft long, but I will measure it in the morning for my own curiosity. So without any hesitation she put the Patrol in to drive, and off she went, I really think she is amazing.

Andy wanted to write today’s blog because of (apparently) all of the man technical stuff. So letting him fulfil his ego today I was more than happy for him to do so.

There is a storm raging outside. We were out and about today when the storm started and once again watching the storm roll in from a distance and seeing the amazing lightning show.

For those of you who have dirt biked with Andy across some very difficult and muddy terrain you will of course know how bad he can be at navigation, although rumour has it he is better now than he used to be.

When Andy drive’s the truck, he gets a navigator, when I drive I don’t, his ability to read a map is pants, I just have to rely on my gut feel and sense of direction. This morning I asked Andy to check the map for me, but
An empty TrailerAn empty TrailerAn empty Trailer

Not sure what was being shown here but they were engrossed in conversation.
the map never made it out of the passenger door pocket, so I just took a nice long drive round the houses to get to where we needed to be. I pulled over to double check the road names on the map then worked out a route. The map went back in the door pocket and that’s where it stayed but we got where we needed to be.

The lighting flashes again and almost immediately a deafening “gunshot” of thunder tore into the atmosphere.

We were out most of the day with one thing and another, and when we finally got in parked the truck and messed about with the trailer we had to pop out again to get a shovel, and a tow strap for when we hit the sand.

Finally we got back at 7.00, though it was still raining it was still really hot and very humid.

We were initially going to Skype my mum on Friday as I had promised her, but was we are leaving the apartment for Fraser Island then we have arranged to do it tonight at 11.00am UK time, 9.00pm Queensland time.

We have been away 4
Pulling OutPulling OutPulling Out

Here it comes, its first trip out of the Garage
weeks tomorrow, and we have done so much but seen so little.
I don’t think I appreciated how much needed to be done before we got the show on the road; still we will have time to slow down which sounds a bit odd.

Everyone we speak to without doubt tell us Fraser Island is just amazing we are so looking forwards to being there. Apparently it is the only place on the planet where true Dingo’s are found, as there are no other traces of any other breeds in them. Plenty of warning notices are around saying do not feed the Dingo’s as food corrupts, just like the bears in Canada, a domesticated bear was a dead bear, same goes for the Dingo.

Time we are off, it is very comfortable where we are in Alexandra Headland in the apartment, but this is not what it is about, its about travel and adventure, so the truck just needs to be packed and we are off.

We don’t know when we will next get any internet access, but we will type the blog up everyday so it is a true account of our travels.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

How Many Men..How Many Men..
How Many Men..

does it take to hook up a trailer?


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb