Industrial Tools and Crunchy Nut Bricks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Alexander Headland
December 3rd 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was quite an uneventful day today, after the circus of buying the truck, sorting out our roof top tent vs. the trailer, having the interview at Australia Zoo and on and on. We didn’t feel the need to race around, but just to have a couple of days reviewing what we have done, how far we have got and getting this adventure where we both need it to be.

The bread had gone over this morning, no muffins and we couldn’t have a lamington cake, well not before cereal anyway. The only problem with cereal and I am a lover of crunchy nut cornflakes is that in this heat the honey that coats each golden flake basically galvanises itself together, so if you can get them out of the box without the aide of an acetylene torch, you just end up with a crunchy nut “Brick”, which to have to set about with masonry tools.

I finished my book just after breakfast, absolutely excellent, a true story about a guy who had been left in the outback to die, but managed to survive for 71 days walking hundreds of Kilometres bare foot, in shorts and a T shirt, surviving on frogs, lizards, grass and loosing 60 kilo’s in the process, fortunately been found by hands on a outback cattle station. Lucky or what?

Caroline has now started this excellent read and I have gone on to my Led zeppelin Biography.

We needed to do some internet banking and as the guy who has unwittingly given us free internet access seems to have moved out, switched his router off or just cottoned on to us poncing off his broadband, we had to go down to Starbuck in Mooloolaba, and connect to their WiFi.

Frankie, the Barista said she had not had time to give her mum our contact details for the possible house sit in Caloundra next year, still plenty of time.

We updated the blog, which we hope you are all enjoying and just kicked back and watch the world go by. One pressing item we had to attend to was insuring the trailer, which is being picked up on Thursday for a Friday depart. Strangely enough we found out that the trailer needs to be separately registered from the truck and wears its own unique number plate, it also has to be insured separately which we quite easily managed to do.

I don’t understand, but can only guess what affects the risk and liability when they calculate a policy premium, whether there is less crime, over here bigger roads, etc. etc. But to insure a trailer at $8000.00 plus $4000.00 contents it would only cost $183.00 dollars or £79.00 UK. One thing is for sure though, it is a huge country, 32.8 times larger than the British isles, with only 18 million population, most of them living on the Southern and Easterly coast. When you look at the map there are vast expanses of land that are quite uninhabitable (except for the 40,000,000 Forty Million nomadic Kangaroo’s who roam these lands).

Caroline managed to escape my clutches, slipped off and brought a handbag why??? We are on an outback adventure. Will the Dingo’s care if she has a new handbag? I don’t think so. (note from C: In my defence, all my hadbags are in England, in storage I could not afford the weight or space to bring one with me, so there was no option but to buy one that was 'more suitable' for the environment and terrain that we are travelling in. What's a girl going to do when arriving in the city and she has no handbag?)

Food shopping was next, we have dinner guests at the apartment this evening and we always do our best for our diners. We also had to stock up on provisions for our excursion to Fraser Island.

Our Dinner guests arrived and we had a fab evening, we rustled up a delight from our meagre offerings and they had brought a dessert.
Apparently the Auzzie’s Loooove Cheesecake and have shops dedicated to it, we had a Black cherry cheesecake, that came from the Mamushka cheese cake shop and it was excellent.

Caroline just commented, with the amount of Pasta bake I cooked, there would be enough for the next 3 months. So perhaps we did not have to buy so much tinned food for the truck after all.

Off to bed now, shattered as always. Lightning is in the distance it looks like a storm coming, which may cool things down a bit.

Until tomorrow, Bloggers, should we be spared.

A&C



Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb