AIRLIE BEACH - SOUTH MOLLE ISLAND


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
June 27th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Friendly Possum at AirlieFriendly Possum at AirlieFriendly Possum at Airlie

Loved sharing Peter's mandarin.
9 Days in paradise!
Airlie Beach has grown alot since we were last here about 5 years ago. Very impressed with all the new shops and the council has done a great job with the landscaping. We walked along the Bicentenial walk with the dog a few times, used the free bbq's and spent a day shopping. Then we headed out to camp on South Molle Island. We loaded our gear and kayak onto a great water taxi barge which dropped us out there and returned 4 days later to pick us up. (In the dark mind you... Told us to be ready at 3.30pm but didn't get there till 6.32pm!)
Had the campground to ourselves for the first 2 nights and were then joined by another couple and kayak campers for the last. The walking trails on South Molle are all great and fairly easy. The resort on the island was only 500meters away and was all but deserted. We roamed around there for a good 40mins before we came accross another person. Bit creepy! Very nice resort, well maintained, pool, golf course, restaurant, bar etc etc. All closed up! 3 guests at the pool. 3 staff. That's it?
The beach was beautiful and white, loads of shells and coral and the water crystal clear but a bit too cold to swim. Paddled around the outskirts of the island and saw lots of colourful fish and coral.
Fishing heaven again for Peter!
On our last night back at Airlie we went out to dinner for my birthday. Cactus Jacks. Mexican. It was as good as we remembered from last time. Desert Nachos!!! Yum!!!
Next stop Bowen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Friendly Possum at AirlieFriendly Possum at Airlie
Friendly Possum at Airlie

Loved sharing Peter's mandarin.
airlie beach 009airlie beach 009
airlie beach 009

This cod went back,they were in abundance at this size.
airlie beach 011airlie beach 011
airlie beach 011

32cm Sweetlip was beautiful eating.
airlie beach 016airlie beach 016
airlie beach 016

40cm Stripey Sea Perch was also good eating,apparently according to my fishing books they don't grow this big.Same family as Mangrove jack and Moses perch.


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb