BURDEKIN FALLS DAM


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 6th 2011
Published: July 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Burdekin Falls Dam WallBurdekin Falls Dam WallBurdekin Falls Dam Wall

The road normally goes across at the foot of the wall but has been closed since october 2010. The noise of the water going over is very loud and it is quite spooky standing down there where the road goes under. Very spectacular!
Travelled through Bowen to get to Burdekin Dam. Didn't get much of a chance to see the good side of Bowen as it was very windy, new name"Blowin Bowen". Couldn't sleep in our tent as it was flapping badly...don't know how it didn't take off!
Stopped off and had lunch at Ravenswood. There is a few heritage listed buildings left there from the gold mining days but otherwise very much a gost town. Unfortunately experienced very scary public toilets! But very desperate so they had to do. (sad...but will always remember Ravenswood for this)

Burdekin Falls Dam is Huge! (Qld's largest ) and a great place to camp, well worth the big inland drive to get there. Peacocks roaming around the grounds everywhere. Peter in major fishing heaven at the base of the dam wall. I was also in washing heaven...only $2 per load!
Wild pigs at night (not near camp ground) bit scary though when you leave it a bit late to walk the 1.5km hill back to camp. I walked back just a bit before dark with tough blue heeler. Who got spooked by kangaroo...slipped his colar and ran back to camp without me!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

34cm Australian Bass which was returned due to closed season in qld.34cm Australian Bass which was returned due to closed season in qld.
34cm Australian Bass which was returned due to closed season in qld.

Only had the line in this rock pool for a minute and caught this great Bass. Also caught a few eels but Kylie won't let me bring them back.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb