Day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
June 6th 2010
Published: June 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our second day on the water was much warmer, yet we had a much harder time with the dolphins. Once again we were up at 5, and at the marina by 6:30. The sunrise was gorgeous, and at first the water was really calm. We headed north towards where we saw the dolphins yesterday. Unfortunately the further out we got, the more the wind and waves picked up. The first group we say consisted of 6 dolphins in two pods, traveling in opposite directions. The dolphins had a huge problem with the boat, and would not let us near them at all. We attempted to get a biopsy sample, but could not get close enough. I was taking pictures today and had a very difficult time get a close up, in focus shot of the fin. Although I may have gotten pictures of all of the dolphins, I doubt they were anything worth while.
A while later we saw another group of dolphins, but they also gave us a very difficult time, and once again we left them early. We then headed further north towards another site where dolphins have been seen previously. After a good amount of traveling, we headed back as the choppy water was making our trip very difficult. On the way back we saw a pod of bottlenose dolphins. Usually very social with boats, they quickly gave us the slip and we continued home. It may seem easy spotting dolphins, but when you are looking for tiny fins in choppy water, and they can stay down for minutes at a time and pop up very far away, its quite annoying.
Around 12:30 we passed by our home harbor but continued south for a little ways. In a close by bay we stopped for a little while, ate lunch and rested up. It was decided to call it quits for the day, and at 2 we got the boat out of the water and headed home. Soon enough I decided to take a nap and fell asleep for almost 5 hours. I guess I am still a little bit jet lagged.
Overall it was a slow dolphin day, but the weather was gorgeous, so we got some great sights!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb