Target Practice


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
June 6th 2010
Published: June 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today on the water was much like yesterday. At first we were debating on whether we should go out in the morning or the afternoon. As today was Sunday and a gorgeous day, we headed out early to ensure that we got a parking spot in at the boat ramp. Once out of the harbor we found ourselves in a little bay with water as smooth as glass. It figures that there wasn’t a dolphin in site. When I looked back across the bay out to the Whitsunday Islands, it almost seemed as if they were floating in the air. The reflection of the sky on the smooth water was beautiful.
We had four dolphin sightings today, but when the wind picked up it made it very difficult for us to collect biopsy samples. At one point Daniele decided to cut the engine for a bit to give us a bit to relax. We were all frustrated with both the dolphins and the weather and it was a nice break. Also, Katharina and I got to shoot the gun in a little bit of target practice. I think she was able to shoot it before, but even soon she is a really good shot. We threw a bottle in the water for aim, and she nearly hit it every time. Me on the other hand, well lets just say I need more practice. You are able to set the gun for power based on different distances and I either didn’t set the distance correctly or just need better aim. All of my shots were past the bottle by a foot or so then skipped across the water and we had to retrieve the dart. Luckily the darts float! It would make it really difficult to retrieve the sample if not.
At 1 we decided to head south and pass by the marina further south to a channel where dolphins have previously been sighted. On our way back we saw a huge dugong just floating at the surface. You could see it stick its nose up into the air for a few minutes before it finally disappeared. Once past the marine the water was way to choppy and the boat was being thrown around. We tucked into a small bay and had a lunch break. We figured that if we waited a while the wind would eventually die down. On our brake we got to talking and I realized that most of them learned english at extremely young ages, and even had to take english classes as requirements for college. We also talked alot about different countries, movies, music and what not. So far I am having a great time with these people, they are so nice and open. Figures that instead it picked up, so we called it quits for the day around 2:30. On the way back in we saw a sea plane pass close overhead on its way to landing. It seems there are tons of them around!
Once home we washed the boat off then Katharina, Guido and I headed into town to pick up some groceries. The market area is really quite cute, and consists of a bunch of shops all together in a figure 8 sort of shape with huge awnings spread across the middle. We headed into the grocery store, a shop called Cole’s and found most of the stuff we wanted. It surprised me how similar it was to an American grocery store, but many things were quite different. For example, in the morning, we don’t have cereal, we have muselli. Muselli consists of dried fruits, oats, nuts and other seeds mixed together. You then add milk and eat it similar to how you would cereal. In the grocery store there is a whole section of different already made muselli mixes and a whole bunch of separate bags of fruits, nuts and seeds with which you can make your own. Also, eggs here in AUS don’t go in the fridge. It really surprises me, but I guess if they are from a close enough farm or marker then it makes no difference. After Cole’s we headed off in search of a movie store, and after walking the plaza found a box stacked with dvd boxes. It was similar to a red box, just a bit rougher. Guido and Katharina rented a few movies then we headed home.
Once back from the stores i went out for a run. I went out to the left from the caravan park and basically dead ended my run in a rain forest. It was still on the road, but the few houses that lined the road were surrounded by larger tropical trees that spilled over onto the road. I plan on going for another run within the next few days and hopefully running along the beach and harbor. I saw a pretty path on the boat ride back today, and hopefully I will be able to find it from the street.
Daniele checked the weather for tomorrow, and it is supposed to be really choppy and windy, so we might stay in as it is near impossible to get a biopsy sample when you can barely hold the gun without rocking out of the boat.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb