Whitsunday Islands - Sailing & Flying !


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
October 8th 2005
Published: October 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Solway LassSolway LassSolway Lass

Our Whitsundays transport & Accommodation
We arrived in Airlie Beach last Tuesday and checked straight into our boat tour which set sail that night.

The sailing trip was absolutely fantastic. We went on a boat called Solway Lass. It was about $100 more expensive ($429 per person) than the majority of the cheaper boats favoured by backpackers, but I would HIGHLY recommend spending the extra money as we have heard really bad stories about the cheaper boats, in particular one called Maxi Samurai.

The food on the boat was superb, and the cabins were fine.
We went snorkelling in 3 different locations, BluePearl Bay was my favourite - loads of fish and great Coral plus there is a massive Moray Wraiss called Elvis who comes out to see the snorkellers!

Along the way we also saw Giant Turtles, 2 Whales, a Leopard Shark, and some Dolphins as we cruised along.

In terms of beaches, they are all Coral in the Whitsundays so as hard to walk on. There is one exception........Whitehaven Beach has the most amazing white sand which even reflects the sun so much that it never gets too hot to walk on !! The ship brought us there for a few
Us !Us !Us !

On a trip ashore, with Hill Inlet in the background.
hours. Hill Inlet beside Whitehaven Beach is stunning as well, and you get a greta view of it from the nearby lookout.

All in all a fabulous trip on an historic Tall Ship. We arrived back into Airlie Beach on Friday evening, and checked into our hostel: Beaches Backpackers. It is in a good location, although Airlie Beach is so small that once you are on the main road you are fine.

Went out for a session of pints with the boat gang in Magnums which seems to be the main bar in the town.

We faced our Saturday morning hangover face on and took to the skys in a Seaplane for a flight over the Whitsundays and also further out to see part of the Great Barrier Reef from the air. The flight was $155 (special offer) and I highly recommend it. We went with Air Whitsunday on the Reef & Whitehaven Scenic flight.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

Over the Whitsundays
Nice !Nice !
Nice !

Maybe we'll take this boat next time.....owned by Ivana Trump.
In SeaplaneIn Seaplane
In Seaplane

Over the island & Barrier Reef
Great Barrier ReefGreat Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef

From the air !
Hill InletHill Inlet
Hill Inlet

From the air
The famous Heart ReefThe famous Heart Reef
The famous Heart Reef

can you spot it....?


17th October 2005

Great photos
Photos are really spectacular, what a wonderful experience and view from the seaplane, it looks amazing.

Tot: 0.513s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb