Blog #2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » 1770
April 18th 2010
Published: April 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Holiday blog 2 rolls off the presses. Well let’s take a few minutes to review comments made by some local well known celebrities. Paul & Ian both commented on the pictures “where’s the breasts?” Brad & Vicki found it very informative and interesting however they didn’t recognise any of the towns from America!!!! Steve & Kath didn’t make any comment - get a computer; Rob and Wendy didn’t need to read it as they have been tracking us by satellite; and JAG is still jealous.
Anyhow, back to our travels.
Hervey Bay - made some great friends here at the local Post Office due to the amount of visits made to collect a parcel of spares required to repair our water leak, which we haven’t mentioned so we’ll not bother!!! Hervey Bay is a pleasant place and a lot bigger than we anticipated, whale watching is it’s big attraction, alas, wrong time of year for us. But we took a drive out to Childers and visited the Palace Backpackers Hostel where 15 unfortunate young lives were lost in a fire on 23 June 2000. Now this is the local Tourist Information Centre with a very moving tribute to the deaths of these young people. We visited out first winery - and yes we did buy a bottle, and no we have not drunk it yet. And then took a walk round the Flying High Bird Habitat. All in all a big day but enjoyable.
So we move onto Bundaberg - Burnett Regions ‘Jewel’ as described by the licence to tell porkies Tourist Board. Did the obligatory short but sweet tour of the Bundy Rum factory, the tour was short and the rum sweet. Enjoyed the free tasting of the Bundy Red “damn that is smooth”!!!!!
In our opinion Bundaberg is in need of a little TLC. However just down the road is the very smart resort of Bargara where Debby was treated to her birthday meal. A visit to Mon Repos, the breeding ground (beach) for the Loggerhead Turtles is well worth the visit even if out of season and pouring down.
And onward to the historic Town of 1770, which was a breath of fresh air after having spent 2 days too long in Bundaberg. The magical sunset took the breath away, what little was left after a trip on ‘The LARC’. A couple of days have been spent on the beach practicing alfresco AD.
Our next blog will be covering inland Queensland as we move away from the coast.
BTW - Brad and Vicki you will be pleased to know that the Bejewelled is getting a work out, but the world champion is not under any threat.


Advertisement



18th April 2010

Whose dreams!!!
As you keep saying that I was the one who dreamed about you guys going on this big adventure my thought on the above photo of the two of you behind the bar. That is what I can see you guys doing running a pub in one of the small towns that you will come across now this is not what I have dreamed about it is just what came to me when I saw the Bundy Rum Factory photo. You just look so at home. LOL But do not quote me on this guys it is so good to see you both are enjoying yourself and exploring this beautiful country we are so lucky to live in.
18th April 2010

Mark still thinks his sunset pics from the cruise would beat yours hands down!! Great reports and are looking forward to the next installment.
19th April 2010

Having fun!
You look like your having fun - despite rain and fridges! Are you taking a reef trip to Lady something Island? It is supposed to be lovely for snorkling etc. Looking forward to inland Qld as have not done much travel this end inland. Would have commented earlier but recovering from excessive friends and activities over Easter. Happy trails Theo and Chris
11th May 2010

Beautiful sunset!!

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb