Daly Waters to Pine Creek


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
March 13th 2013
Published: February 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

As per usual we got up before sunrise it was nothing spectacular to look at but I snapped a few shots anyway, cooked some breakfast as we were both starving we had been too busy jamming the night before to cook dinner and set off on our way. These young folk can’t handle the pace they were still pushing out the zeds when we left.

Just over 90 km’s up the road is the famous Pink Panther Larrimah Hotel, we drove past last year but this time we pulled in for a look. I’m glad we did and out the back of the pub they have a little menagerie happening which includes a huge variety of birds, a croc and other critters. Entry is free but a donation is gladly accepted.

We only drove for a little over 3 hours from here and decided we would take it easy and spend the rest of the day and night at Pine Creek. It was pretty warm and so we had a dip in the pool it was kind of refreshing but I think the pool cleaner may have been on holidays it badly needed a vacuum. Like really badly.

The caravan park was very lush and green as you would expect at this time of year and as it turned out we were the only campers for the night. It was a nice sunset and boy do the bats love this area, there were thousands and I mean thousands of these critters flying over. Having lived on the Sunshine Coast in QLD for many years I have seen many bat colonies in flight but never had I seen this many it was very very spectacular.

Even more spectacular however was the electrical storm that passed over a little later in the night, I reckon we had nearly as many lightning strikes as bats they were going off every few seconds for maybe 3 hours. Welcome to a Top End wet season you really feel alive!

Take care travel safe and Remember it’s nice to be important but it’s important to be nice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb