Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
March 17th 2013
Published: February 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

We wanted to spend a few days in Darwin and enjoy what was to be our last piece of civilisation for a while before heading down to the Litchfield area where we are expecting to stay/work for about the next 6 months.

Caravan Parks are rather expensive in these parts particularly closer to the City itself yet it was only the shoulder season as the Wet Season was still with us though the rains were becoming less frequent. We chose to stay at the Oasis Caravan Park and were happy with that decision, staff were friendly and the park and amenities were clean and tidy. We met numerous people who had stayed at the park before they reckoned it was the best in town. The swimming pool at this time of year is quite warm though very welcome during the hot and steamy days.

Last year we did quite a few of the touristy things in Darwin (I have written about and photographed these in my earlier blogs) and this time we checked out the Military Museum. It was good but the multimedia presentation of the February 1942 bombings of Darwin were incredible, you will or should truly feel the fear and terror the people there experienced at the time.

It was St Patricks Day on our last day in town and I was keen to get amongst it and have a few green beers to celebrate. Can you believe that despite stopping in at a number of establishments not one green beer was to be found mind you I found nothing wrong with the amber ones. I did not know how Darwinites celebrated the occasion but they went all out, every pub, bar, café etc were full of people enjoying a cold bevvy or three. Plenty of green some orange and a variety of Irish associated costumes were being proudly worn and on display. Darwin knows how to enjoy a good craic.

Take care travel safe and Remember it’s nice to be important but it’s important to be nice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Darwin military museum 9Darwin military museum 9
Darwin military museum 9

I started a fitting & machining apprenticeship in 1977 - one of my first jobs was working on the Bofor upgrade so it was really cool seeing this little baby.
Shock horror!Shock horror!
Shock horror!

Keep a close eye on your pussy when in the Territory.
Beware of morons on the roadBeware of morons on the road
Beware of morons on the road

"Some" drivers are pretty careless and do as they please, crossing over double lines or any other road rules don't seem to apply to these folks.
Typical Wet Season growthTypical Wet Season growth
Typical Wet Season growth

For months after the Wet continuous burning off is carried out to reduce this type of fire fuel. It of course turns brown and crispy during the Dry season.


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb