Days 127 & 128 - Kakadu - Mamukala and Ubirr


Advertisement
Published: August 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We drove on and into the Kakadu National Park. The first place we got to was Mamukala late in the afternoon. There is really nothing special here, just a large bird hide and information. The lagoon is shrinking under the sun but the birds (waterbirds mostly) are great to watch. We stay until the mozzies (and other little beasties) start to bite and walk back to the bus to have a think about what we might do.

We would like to come out here again tomorrow morning and we don't have anywhere booked to stay....so we stay at Mamukala (shhhh... no camping allowed but we are self contained so surely it can't be a real problem).

We are up early (dawn) to walk down to the bird hide and see what is happening. Various people start to turn up (including some that we saw yesterday). We stay for a while and then decide to move on to our next stop.

Ubirr has an impressive array of rock art plus it is historically important because it is where parts of the original Crocodile Dundee film were shot. We walk through the art galleries and then climb to the top
MamukalaMamukalaMamukala

This little fellow sat on the "windowsill" waiting for a photo
of the escarpment and gaze out over the Nadab floodplains. Fabulous colours and scenery (although there is still a fire that is burning up the way a bit). We open our pack up and have lunch under a rock overhang after all the tour groups have gone. It is quiet and a small wallaby appears to see if we something for her. We toss the remains of an apple to her and a smaller joey appears so it gets the remains of the other apple. We watch the hoppers eat the apples with their front paws and then leave them to it. After a coffee at the Border Cafe, we sit by the river (near Cahills Crossing) and watch the crocs. We also watch the locals on the other side of the East Alligator River (from Arnhem Land) fishing. The locals seem to be going quite well, pulling in mostly smaller fish. We strike up a conversation with an Italian Swiss family and discuss our travel tips and thoughts.

We drive on to Jabiru (the "capital" of Kakadu and site of the Ranger Uranium Mine). On the way we stop to take a quick photo of a Jabiru (Black
MamukalaMamukalaMamukala

Native Hens and ducks
Headed Stork) which was fishing in a billabong right next to the road. We eventually arrive in Jabiru where we book in to a local caravan park.

We have dinner by the pool - they have Boags here too. So far away we are from the little island but there are always triggers to bring back memories. Nice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

MamukalaMamukala
Mamukala

Egret in flight
MamukalaMamukala
Mamukala

Plumed Whistling Ducks
MamukalaMamukala
Mamukala

Spoonbill
Ubirr Rock art Ubirr Rock art
Ubirr Rock art

White man boss man / hands in pockets
Ubirr Rock art Ubirr Rock art
Ubirr Rock art

Long neck turtle
Ubirr escarpmentUbirr escarpment
Ubirr escarpment

view over Nadab floodplain
Locals fishing in East Alligator RiverLocals fishing in East Alligator River
Locals fishing in East Alligator River

There was a large croc about twenty metres away on the bank and heaps more in the river!
Jabiru with fishJabiru with fish
Jabiru with fish

Billabong near Ubirr


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb