Day 98 Australia, Darwin, Kakadu National Park


Advertisement
Published: February 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi Bloggers and loyal followers,



Today we had an early wake up of 6am, with our pick up at 0645 to start our tour with WayOutBack. We met our tour guide Mel and the first stop was Kakadu National Park, it was touch-and-go whether this section of the tour would go ahead with Cyclone Lam causing problems with flooding but thankfully it did and pretty much all the itinerary ran the same. Since we were picked up so early, we didn’t really get to chat to anyone on our tour (12 people) as we all went to sleep during the couple of hours driving to the first stop, Fog dam.



At Fog dam (mamukala wetlands) it offered a stunning variety of birdlife and amazing views. We then visited the Bowali visitor centre- where we had the opportunity to buy aboriginal art and walk around the museum detailing the aboriginal beliefs and lives. This gave us an insight to the aboriginal culture before we went to Nourlangie, to see the Aboriginal rock art. We learnt about the Rainbow Serpent and looked out over the floodplain and beyond to the Arnhem Land. The views were incredible.



After lunch (which were make your own sandwiches with all ingredients supplied) we stopped off at Corrobee to learn and see the difference between salt and fresh water crocodiles. At 1630 we then had a private 2 hour cruise along the Yellow Waters Billabong, on the look out for crocodiles, birds and other wildlife. Yellow Waters has the highest concentration of salt water crocodiles found in the world. This was the highlight of the day as we saw loads of salty croc’s, which came really close to the boat. We got to see the dominant male of the area just swimming along side the boat, checking out his territory!!



Our first night camping was spent at Cooinda, which was actually a welcomed form of glamping, as the tents were big enough to have two single beds in them, lights and power sockets and the walls were sealed by mosquito nets. We had dinner, which was cooked by the tour guide Mel, if you can believe it we had steak, sausages and mash with a few vegetables!! The food is amazing!! Also we drank free wine Mel had for us to bond with the group LOL. A great first day.





Love V&N X


Additional photos below
Photos: 139, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1171s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb