The Outback


Advertisement
Published: March 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last Saturday, Johnno and I flew to Alice Springs, Australia's most famous outback town. We flew to Sydney and waited in the Qantas Lounge for our flight to Alice. I took a shower, drank coffee, ate breakfast and generally lounged....these frequent flyer lounges are quite easy to get used to. It was especially comfortable flying Business Class. as there were only three of us in this section, Johnno and I jumped back and forth looking out the windows at the flat (surprisingly wet) colorful country down below. The yummy free champagne and salmon salad were OZsome, too!!

Alice is nestled between the East and West MacDonnell Ranges, in the heart of central Australia. It is surrounded by a sea of red sand the size of Europe. It's known for laying the Overland Telegraph line, the establishment of the Old Ghan railway, the world's first motorised road train, and the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

We got our rental and headed out into the outback. Our destination Uluru, aka, the famous Ayer's Rock.
This huge sandstone monolith stands 1044 feet high, and gets visited by people worldwide. Also, nearby is Kata Tjuta, aka The Olgas...a massive pile of 36 weathered rock domes. It was a beautiful 220 mile drive out to these physical and spiritual areas and well worth it. The vastness of the outback sinks in when doing a trip like this. We pasted a herd of wild camels along the way. We listened to my Itouch music along the way...one ear piece for me, and one for Johnno.

Hiked along Uluru for a short time before the flies got the best of us. Watched the sunset over 'The Rock' with the rest of the paparazzi (from all over the world). It was magical watching it change colors! Just when you thought it was done...it would light up again...fantasically glowing from within!

Camped that night at the Ayer's Rock Resort. A friendly place with a pool. Had dinner at the pub with live music.

In the morning we took off for The Olga's. Hiking amongst these domes were amazing. My pix just don't do justice. It was hot, but there were water stations along the way....which were good for head dunking, too! Hiked Walpa Gorge and Valley of the Winds, about 5.5 miles total. Saw a few Red Kangaroos resting in the shade of the hot day.

Visited the Uluru Cultural Center for some Aboriginal History.

Stayed at a motel in Eridunda that night (halfway back to Alice). Went out for a couple Coopers in the local pub. Clouds were building up....drizzle drazzle. Rain likely.

After a breakfast of sausage rolls....we headed back toward Alice. The country looked a little different in it's wet moist splendor. Back in Alice, we drove into the West MacDonnell Ranges. By this time the rain had picked up. The rivers were swelling. We past many a flooded crossing. We went to Simpson's Gap for a hike but the hike was impassable...the trail was under water...so we just walked along the scenic sandy shore habited only by the white ghost gum trees.

We drove west to Standley Chasm...only to get shut out by a gnarly river crossing. We opted to park the car and walk the rest of the way....only to find they were shut due to flooding. Oh well, it was an adventure just gettting there.

Back in Alice we went to the Telegraph Station. In 1871 they laid the cable from London to Adelaide. It was an amazing accomplishment, and allowed the Australia to be 'in the know' only hours after news happened instead of several months. We also walked acoss the swollen Todd river...just because we could.

Stayed in a nice hotel that night. Swam in the guitar shaped pool. Ate a lovely meal at the Juicy Rump in the casino.

The next morning we took a walk though around Alice. It is a pleasant little town.

For the short time we spent in the heart of Australia, we experienced quite a lot...adventure, nature, culture, driving, history and heritage, hiking and some amazing stars. Would I go back. Yeah, I think so!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



16th March 2011

Wow, your pics are so amazing. Is the big rock that the dingo stole the baby at the campground? Walpa Gorge is my fav pic. Have fun Kernie, and watch out for dingos!
16th March 2011

Good For You!
Glad you are having fun!!!!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb