Around Canberra


Advertisement
Published: March 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

G'day!
It has been so nice to have Canberra as a home base. Yesterday I rode my (!!) bike around the lake to the most impressive war memorial I have ever been to. One could spend days here, unfortunately I only had a few hours. I learned more about the Gallipoli war, and many more of the unfortunate wars Australia fought in. The exhibits were amazing! They have a closing ceremony ever night at closing hour. A guy basically plays the an aussie version of 'Taps', on a trumpet. It was powerful and emotional!
Will be renting the movie Gallipoli when I get home.
Also, visited a little 1800's tenant farmers old cottage near the lake. It was cute and cozy!
Bought some used CD's downtown at Flipsides....two 1980's classic Australian hits CD's (Han, the Go- Betweens and Mental As Anything are on there).
Had a Guiness at the local Irish Pub and then, had a peaceful ride home (!!?) on the bikepath.
Today I am off to the Australian Mint....no, not where they make mints....where they make coins! Maybe there will be some free samples!!
Tomorrow Johnno and I are headed to Alice Springs and Ayer's Rock, for a little Outback action!!
Soon, thereafter I will head towards Adelaide and do my farm stay at the Eagleview Coloured Sheep Farm.
It is almost already time to go home...time is flying by now. Yikes!!
Cheers!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



11th March 2011

glad you are still enjoying your aussie stay Kristina. Have a good trip home whenever that is. Janet and Lloyd
11th March 2011

amazing journey
Kristina, thank you so much for including me in your travel blog, what a journey! you do a fabulous job of pictures and descriptions, i think you could make a great travel writer, all kinds of hints and tips on the hidden treasures that you find. would you like to get paid for traveling and taking pics of it? sounds fun to me. can't wait to see the aussie stars twinkling in your eyes when you get back, enjoy the rest of your journey, love, amy
11th March 2011

CD
Bring the CD down when you visit...I want to hear. What was that other down under band that Barbara Cook turned us on to? Do you remember? Guadalcanal Diary - yes. Weren't they from Australia? Do you see music from them?
11th March 2011

CD
Bring the CD down when you visit...I want to hear. What was that other down under band that Barbara Cook turned us on to? Do you remember? Guadalcanal Diary - yes. Weren't they from Australia? Do you see music from them?
12th March 2011

How do you get to Alice Springs...fly or train? Seems like a long ways out. Good pic of the swan. HUH. I wonder how it survived.
13th March 2011

Beautiful pictures
Oz looks great Kristina and it sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Looking forward to hearing how you like it on the farm. Take care and lots of hugs
15th March 2011

thanx amy!
hi amy...good to hear from you. i will have aussie stars in my eyes when i return. having a great trip so far. lets get toether for a sweaty betty walk when i get back!
15th March 2011

hi tom...i flew to alice springs. my friend treated me with his air miles! sweet, huh! the swan pix was an optical illusion....it was the way they were lined up! sorry for popping your bubble if u thought it was really one swan!
15th March 2011

hi sharleen, looking forward to the farm, too. will definately be posting a blog on that one. alice springs and ayers rock (and the olgas) were GREAT! talk to you later....

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb