Outback Outback


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Devils MarblesDevils MarblesDevils Marbles

Loved this place, we camped right with all the boulders.
After our week in Mt. Isa we got our vehicle back and we were ready to hit the road. We headed West into the Northern Territory of Australia. We drove into the outback for two full days. This drive is long and boring, we went 279km between fuel stations! And longer between towns! The Roadhouses are set up as fuel stations, the gas in the outback is SOOO EXPENSIVE!! We paid at one place $1.89, when it us usually only $1.33 or so. But the scenery is beautiful, as well as the outback sunsets 😊
We stoped at the Devils Marbles, that was AMAZING! (we have found that free nature things are always much better than ones you have to pay for) It was beautiful, we got there at sunset so the rocks were glowing a great orange colour. After the marbles we headed down into the center of Australia. This is a vast beautiful land! Sooo much land and hardly any people or towns. We were about 300km away from Ularu and we decided to call it a night, we stoped into a free overnight rest area. There was a dried up river right down from where we stayed, it is actually the oldest river in the world over 300 million years old. That night it rained and rained pools upon pools of water. Ihave never experienced that much rain before!That morning the river was flowing full of water! We headed back on the highway to go see Ularu, but 30km down the road the highway was flooded. There was a huge amount of water over the highway. Vehicles were lined up wondering what to do. Most of them turned around, including us. But we did get to watch a road train go through, the water was as deep as his tires!
We spent another night at the rest stop, and the next morning (today) Flip would not start. Turns out our van does not like Opal fule very much. huh lucky we were close enought to Alice springs that we could turn our other fuel sorce(LPG) on and head back there. We found a mechanic and a hostel to stay at for the night. So hopefully tomorrow we will be back on the road heading for Ularu!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

OutbackOutback
Outback

more from the highway
Alice SpringsAlice Springs
Alice Springs

Leaving Alice
ROADTRAINS!ROADTRAINS!
ROADTRAINS!

crazy! Some of them carry up to 5 trailers behind them!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb