Camels, Coach Ride, & Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My first encounterMy first encounterMy first encounter

I think the camel took a liking to me...see him smiling!
We survived another adventurous day! Started with our 5:45am camel ride. Good news is we were asleep by 9:00pm so felt more rested when the wake up call came through. Our camel was Sailee (I first called him Sally and was quickly corrected by our camel guide that the camels name was SAAALLLie (spelling ?) and that she was a he. One doesn't want to start out the day putting your camel in a bad mood. We were told that they have definite personalities and funny little quirks. Sailee doesn't not like his head patted or rubbed...tends to snap or bite! Our ride on the camel was only an hour and Tyler and I both agreed that we were happy that we did not do the 3 day camel safari trip. A little more time on the camel would have been fun but Tyler wore nylon shorts (like the ones you would wear playing basketball) and he was a bit chaffed.

The "luxury coach" ... well what can I say other than "been there done that" - "won't do that again." 6 hours riding in the desert - not much happening. Said that we would see wild animals (like camels and such) - didn't see anything. I slept for about 3 hours of it...good nap sitting up. We even had to "change" buses - like you do when you change planes - never thought about it on a bus. Our first bus driver, when we changed buses, was really rude and proceeded to yell at a few of us cause we weren't tell him quick enough what hotel we were staying at in Alice Springs. He was trying to transfer the luggage from one bus to the next. You know me - I plan on writing the bus company a letter about him. He took another person's luggage and threw it down swearing...oh well, he must have been having a bad day.

I have a Tyler saying for the day! He really hopes we encounter a kanagroo in the wild. When asked why - he said he wanted to get beat up by one (or almost beat up by one) rather than meet one that is so people friendly that you can get so close you can pet them and they start purring!






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



19th March 2008

Rude People Suck
So that sucks about the few tours you guys had, not much wild life to see, than top it off with a rude person. I mean you know those schedules in the outback. :) So was it like riding a horse?
19th March 2008

I like the looks your new friends gave you
A camel, "ships of the Dessert." Were they smelly? How were they to ride once you started out on the trek? They look like they might have attitudes. Love Grandpa
19th March 2008

HI jeff - thanks for keeping up with us! Tell Seth that yesterday as we were leaving the "rock" we saw the long string of catepillars - similar to the ones in Africa. We now have to similar experiences with the flies and the catepillars. Maybe the hot desert conditions are the common thread? I'm hoping to get Tyler to blog today...we've not met many kids along the way. Chick sitings are few and far between (except in Sydney). Love - mamma
20th March 2008

That camel looks like it could use a dental plan. Im not sure why Tyler would want to get beat up by a kangaroo, maybe he misses all the whoopings I deliver when he is here. It was great to get your phone call the other morning. I miss you both and glad you are having fun. P.S. Sounds like your bus driver needs to have a taser applied to him, I find it to be an exellent attitude adjuster.
20th March 2008

Hi Dad...
Why would I miss you beating me up, since I beat you up!...jk lol...you're right, a taser might ajust the driver's attitude a little. sorry i havent been writing, im just really tired when im not doing an activity or doing homework. ttyl...8D

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb