Once Upon a Time


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
September 28th 2013
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

The DishThe DishThe Dish

CSIRO's Parkes Teleshcope 64-m diameter
Geo: -33.9235, 147.205

Left Dubbo at 7.30am, arrived in Parkes at 9am to have a look at the dish. CSIRO'S Parkes Telesscope the official name, is 64-m in diameter parabolic dish used for radio astronomy. It was huge.

The telescope was built in 1961. But only it's basic structure has remained unchanged. With continual upgrades the telescope is ten thousand times more sensitive than when commissioned in 1961.

The moving part of the telescope, above the concrete tower, weighs 1000 tonnes-more than two Boeing 747s.

The telescope only receives signals from space, never sends them.

Mick can remember his Mum and Dad taking the family to see the Dish, he was 10 years old. (50 years ago!!) He remembered two dishes, one a quarter the size, nothing else, just a big wire fence. He was surprised to see that he was right and there was a smaller dish next to the big one.

We arrived today to a museum, a coffee shop and buildings beside them, not sure what they were for. We could not walk around the dish and saw just one side, I can at least say I have seen it now.

We had a good run and arrived in West Wyalong at 12pm. The traffic
The Closest I could getThe Closest I could getThe Closest I could get

It is a big dish
was great and not too many trucks, it was about 20o. After setting up we went for a walk, the main street is crooked and reflects the early days as it follows the original bullock track that curved around trees and gold diggings. Beautiful old buildings and was established in 1895. Did some washing and sat back to watch the Grand Final.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A model of the controls to work the TelescopeA model of the controls to work the Telescope
A model of the controls to work the Telescope

It took two years to construct
The Echo DishThe Echo Dish
The Echo Dish

Another was 50 meters away, we both stood on steps and whispered into the centre and could here as clear a day each other speaking. Emma wanted to have a go, so Mick stepped off before I could get a shot of him.
Mick relaxingMick relaxing
Mick relaxing

Fitting in some Banjo practise before the footy began
One of the cottages in the Caravan ParkOne of the cottages in the Caravan Park
One of the cottages in the Caravan Park

Even had it sitting on some old railway lines.
The crooked Main Street of West WyalongThe crooked Main Street of West Wyalong
The crooked Main Street of West Wyalong

Was the main camp in 1895, hence the main street reflects these early days.


28th September 2013

Mick, Dad would have been proud of you sitting there playing the banjo.
28th September 2013

Never really gave a thought just upsetting the neighbours. Did talk about him a lot this morning re Parkes and the dish 50 years ago.
28th September 2013

And not a bloody camel in sight

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb