From the Western Plains to the Riverina


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Wagga Wagga
September 29th 2013
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Mick on the banks of the MurrumbidgeeMick on the banks of the MurrumbidgeeMick on the banks of the Murrumbidgee

At least now can say he has played the banjo on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River.
Geo: -35.1099, 147.371

Left Wyalla at 9.45am, called into the Tamira Aviation Museum. They had the last flying Spitfire Jet in Australia, fully restored. The Temora Aviation Museum provides a tribute to the men and women who served here during World War 11 and displays for them, their families and future generations, the history of 10 EFTS together with Australia's most comprehensive collection of historical aircraft maintained in flying condition.

Out side there was a competition on, between model jets, WOW!! could they move, a rich mans hobby, some costing as much as a house and others as much as a good car. If they crash the pieces are picked up, chucked and they build another, it was enthraling to watch. An hour later we were back on the track.

We then arrived in Wagga Wagga at 1pm, beautiful park right on the Murrambidgee River, set up and had lunch then bought supplies at the supermarket and set out to find Mick's grandmother.

Mary Jane O'Connor passed away on 1st September, 1913. Mick can remember calling at the Wagga Wagga Cemetry years ago with his Dad, Mum, Mary and Anne. The only time Mick saw his Dad upset, they could not find her grave. We
Canoest listening to Mick playing the banjoCanoest listening to Mick playing the banjoCanoest listening to Mick playing the banjo

Mick recalled the film Deliverance.
looked today with no luck, but did see Mary O'Connor, twice and a Josephine O'Connor. And in another section we saw a few Currans, relevant to Mick's family.

After returning to the Park, Mick started playing the banjo and it drew so many people to us, which is great to meet others, all friendly. We then went down to the river, at 5pm, Mick had read that the reservoir lets water go and it causes a wave that people can surf on down the river, so we went to watch and Mick played his banjo.

A couple of people canoeing and stopped to listen to Mick, no wave, but he can now say he has played his banjo on the Murrumbidgee River.

No idea what these ducks are but very inquisitive and not afraid to get close to us, Mick did help by giving them some bread. A fellow across from us warned they will be back every day now, because he fed them, we don't care only here for one more day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

WarningsWarnings
Warnings

Posted all over the place, we soon found out why.
Jets getting set to go.Jets getting set to go.
Jets getting set to go.

Hooked up to computers, each need power kero, own frequency, generator and fire extinguishers. Expensive toys.
The Boys ToysThe Boys Toys
The Boys Toys

Starting price for these $60,000 up to $300,000. They were great to watch and were having a lot of fun
Supermarine Spitfire Mark V11Supermarine Spitfire Mark V11
Supermarine Spitfire Mark V11

The last flying Spitfire in Australia
CA-16 WirrawayCA-16 Wirraway
CA-16 Wirraway

All restored and able to fly
They are Ducks not Camels!!They are Ducks not Camels!!
They are Ducks not Camels!!

Mick could not help himself, when he said that.


29th September 2013

So glad they were ducks not camels. How's the seniors card going.....getting plenty of use ?
29th September 2013

I was glad too, the seniors card at the air show, no go had to be over 65 years old.
29th September 2013

Mick ! Never you were a dab hand on the ol' 5 string ?! We'll have to get together - I'll bring my guitar, resonator, mandolin & harmonica !- not that I'm any good on any of them !!
29th September 2013

I'll bring the 12 string guitar, the violin, the Irish tin whistle, the banjo and we'll have a bash but I'm busy playing the fiddle at the moment.
29th September 2013

From the Latin - Humpless Cameless Duckess

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb