Adelong 2003


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
June 28th 2003
Published: June 28th 2003
Edit Blog Post

28 June 2003
Decided not to drive back to Melbourne but headed to the next town where I was booked to work on Monday. I left Temora and followed the southern road to Junee. It’s a large town with many grand buildings. I was only passing through and zigzagged my way through the main shopping area and continued southeast until I saw a sign indicating the direction to reach Wantabadgery.
I was now on one of the back roads of New South Wales. To the left and right lay green paddocks with flocks of grazing sheep. I followed a narrow road that wound its way through a shallow valley. I came across another branch in the road on the outskirts of Wantabadgery, didn’t go into town so, have no idea what I missed. The new road crosses the Murrumbidgee River where I stopped the car and took some video before proceeding on to the next major feature, which was the Hume Freeway.
On the southern side of the freeway I followed signs to Adelong. It’s been a few years since working here. I had already decided to stay in the same guesthouse as last time. At the reception I introduced myself to a lady who was running the establishment for the owner and she escorted me to my lodgings for the next few days. Besides the two stories building are half a dozen units. When I had unloaded my gear there wasn’t much room to move. Can’t complain though, as it had a comfortable bed, fridge and TV.
It was still raining when I arrived in the Adelong Falls car park. Waited until it cleared then walked down into the valley. On the far side of the river was the ruins of the Victoria Gold Fields, I crossed by means of a small wooden bridge and commenced exploring the ruins. I have read that the amount of gold taken from this area was one of the largest in the state. The ruins indicated it was indeed a busy area.
When I got back to the motel I was pleased with video I had taken. Went to the Elderly Citizens Club for a meal in the evening and was surprised to find I was the only patron. There are few things more lonely then sitting in a fair size Bistro with nobody for company.

29 June 2003
One thing I noticed this morning while having a shower. It took at least fifteen seconds for the water to flow; I’m used to instant water at home and thought it a little strange.
Made my way to the breakfast room where the friendly lady who offered to cook me egg and bacon greeted me. I said yes please and walked over to the table already made up for me. It was a harty start to the day; cereal, toast and coffee before a large plate of cooked food were place in front of me.
We got talking about how the drought had affected business. She told me I was the only one staying in the guesthouse that night.
After my meal I drove out of town towards Tumut, following the Snowy Mountain Highway. Passing kangaroos in small mobs of two’s and three’s along the way. For the next sixty kilometres the scenery was great. For a while the road follows the Blowering Reservoir and from the road I could see the water level was low.
The Wet weather this region has been experiencing is helping but the locals don’t expect to see any improvement until the winter snows starts to melt.
Just outside the small town of Talbingo is a power station called Tumut Three. I arrived fifteen minutes before the next tour was due to start. The guide informed me there is a minimum of two people before he will do a tour. I looked out to the car park and saw my blue ford parked alone. A conversation was struck up, about how he got to become a tour guide; after hearing about it in the local paper he decided to tender for the position and got the job without any problems. He and his wife have held the contract for the last five years. We then started talking about the history of the Snowy River Scheme. Half and hour passed and nobody arrived.
In the end he invited me in to see the display. While I checked out the information area another couple arrived. We were the only ones that followed the guide through the building that generates power for much of Southeast Australia. The four of us were given safety helmets that had headphones attached.
The hum of the generators could be heard in the background but we had no problems hearing what the guide had to say. Unfortunately the video camera failed to pick up his commentary, as he explained with impressive figures what goes into running such a large complex.
When the tour finished I ventured outside and took a road to view the dam and lake from a nearby lookout. The homeward journey to Adelong was again through light to heavy rain.
Back in town I relaxed in my unit before going back to the club for a hot meal.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb