Walking the dog and eating Kangaroo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Wollongong
January 14th 2011
Published: January 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Writing this blog almost a week after the events, reminds me that we really shouldn't let things get so far behind as Lou and I have just had to both check the photos and discuss what we did to make sure we have the right days.

13 January 2011

Today after a lazy morning, we decided that we must get out of the house and explore the area a bit further on foot. So we left Jeff's place and, as we stepped outside and crossed the road, we walked around the Coomaditchy Lagoon, which I believe is a piece of protected Aboriginal land, there is unsurprisingly lagoon which has a large collection of pelicans living upon it and its little island.

After walking past this and going over the crest of the hill, the vista of Port Kembla beach stretched out before us. It really is an impressive view and it is no surprise that we have been told the real estate value of the houses with this view are not small!

We walked down the hill past Port Kembla Surf Life Saving Club, and down the slope through the maram grass onto the beach. We strolled to the waters edge and dipped our toes in and were both shocked by how cold the water was, this may be Oz in summer but it was not much different to the UK waters in late August. Either that or we have got used to warm temperatures far too effectively (if this is the case the USA in Spring may be a shock!)

From here, we left the beach and wandered past the local cricket ground and stopped to watch a couple of balls from our vantage point, whilst doing so we noted the size of the umpire, he was enormous, a proper fatty - its not all beautiful people here either!

From here we finished our walk by looping back to the house via a garage to get a quick drink. We had planned to go to the shops and cook dinner but never got around to it and when Lydia came home and we mentioned this she told us that she was going to cook Chow Mein tonight - fine by us.

After dinner we settled in for a bit of TV and then relatively early night.

14 January 2011
A desirable addressA desirable addressA desirable address

in more ways than one


We got ourselves up early enough that we could get a lift into town with Lydia on her way to work for 10am.

She dropped us near to the lighthouse, and from there we wandered about the delights of Woolongong. First stop was a look over South Woolongong beach which had a few people out surfing and bodyboarding but the surf was nothing special. We moved on up to the lighthouse and had a look around there and the rocks below, then moved onto the harbour.

Having dragged ourselves out of bed early enough to get a lift, neither of us had consumed anything yet today so the next stop was a harbouside eatery for brunch. Knowing that this evening was going to involve a BBQ we both wanted something lightish on meat for brunch so I had a Ceasar salad, and Lou opted for the Greek salad. Always a good option as I get to eat the olives.

With brunch done and the sun beating down, we continued to explore. Next stop was Market Square, complete with a plaque telling us all about the founder of Woolongong, and how he started the enclave on his own land including the first school and many houses.

On into town and a wander through the shopping delights of 'the gong' in order to find a couple of items that we had been after - namely a long sleeved warmer top for me (I now only have a couple of t-shirts and a few vests/tank tops (as I'm sure you have noticed on the pictures) With the shock in temperature change from SE Asia to the cool of Brisbane I had been looking for a while but I am even now still without another garment as I'm too lazy to carry anythign extra until I REALLY need it and also not wanting to spend the money unless I have to.

I also wanted a couple of CDs that I can't get at home and were really expensive online last time I looked but again these items are not cheap here so after looking in a couple of record shops passed on these items also (not the most successful shopping expedition)

We then got the bus back to Port Kembla which passed the massive steel works upon which the whole town/city was founded and which reminds me somewhat of Port Talbot, although every time you go past Port Talbot it is raining so there are some differences.

When we got back I checked iTunes for the music I had been after and, amazingly, they both had it and it was a decent price so we now have a couple more albums to listen to on our journeys.

Not long after this, Lydia returned home and I decided to ask where I could take Angus the dog out for a walk, as he had been getting restless and it is something that we have the time to do.

Armed with the info that was needed Lou, Angus and I set out, over the reserve to the scrub behind the lagoon, and off he went bounding about like a lunatic. He has a lot of energy but not as much as my old dog it has to be said.

We wandered around this area, which could be so pretty but is marred by a lot of flytipped rubbish, until we got close enough that we could see the sea, and then turned back - I had been warned that Angus is a bit over partial to the beach and dogs aren't allowed there anyway.

We got home a bit later and, before we knew it, it was BBQ time. Jeff's friend, Brendan, arrived with his wife Linda, son Patrick and daughter India, and after I had set up Thomas the tank engine on the TV for the kids Brendan was dispatched outside to the BBQ to cook, whilst Jeff was making his potato salad.

The plethora of meat on offer was a delight, as were the accompaniments and the outdoor TV was put on to watch the last of the 20:20 cricket games. Given that the Aussies hadn't won a game yet sitting there as the only English guy I did feel slightly smug.

A few beers later and lots of meat including Kangaroo steak, it came down to the last ball, and we actually lost a game much to Jeff's delight. However of bigger import to Jeff was the score in the Socceroo's game against South Korea in the Asian cup. We both stayed up to watch it, but after the Korean's scored early on I decided I couldn't stay awake any longer and headed to bed, tired, slightly drunk and full up on BBQ. A good day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Flytipped rubbishFlytipped rubbish
Flytipped rubbish

such a shame.


Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb