Outback driving from Bourke to Broken Hill


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Wilcannia
October 29th 2013
Published: October 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Outback driving entails covering huge distances and this brings its own unique challenges. The drive from Bourke to Broken Hill took us two days. With only one driver we need to pace ourselves, take regular breaks and also make sure that we do other activities than just drive. We had an overnight stop at a free camp that turned out to be an absolute gem as it split the distance perfectly and also offered relatively private sites.



The long open stretches of road are punctuated by the things that you see along the way. We were fascinated by the wildlife that we saw. One this stretch it includes a disturbingly large numbers of wild goats, cattle grazing right to the edge of the road, sheep and the usual scattering of road kill.



As we travelled south the drought conditions changed to areas where there had obviously been rain recently as wild flowers were blooming on the edge of the road. When we stopped we noticed that it was considerably cooler. We started to debate when we might need to put on long pants instead of shorts. Not yet but the time is sure to come.



Out free camp was a delight. We had privacy, shade and an opportunity to wonder about. We even found that we could manage to get 3G coverage. Mind you we added the extension antenna to the 3G dongle and sited the antenna on the roof of the caravan. It has a magnetic base which does not work on a fiberglass surface so we used the BBQ slide as a heavy metallic base for the antenna’s magnet. Worked like a charm and allowed us to post the blog for Bourke.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



30th October 2013

Does this mean you're on the return, in case you didn't get my text Joan happy birthday hope you find a great place to eat

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb