Back of Bourke


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Bourke
October 28th 2013
Published: October 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bourke is by no means a sleepy outback town. Steeped in history and proud of its heritage this classic outback town has done everything in its power to attract tourists and to get them to stay a few days. A deeply collaborative community with a progressive shire willing to spend money to promote the community has made it a highly desirable outback destination. It is currently facing a potential severe drought having only received 4 inches of its annual 12 inch rainfall so far in the 10 months till now.



On arrival we visited the Information Centre to find out the must do activities. Lots to do, but we wanted a relaxed afternoon first. Monday it was all systems go.



9am A visit to the Back of Bourke Exhibition.



10:30 Coffee and a sticky something at the bakery.



11:00 Stroll up the main street checking out the butchery, the historic courthouse and Post Office, both very impressive historic buildings.



11:30 Visit to the Wharf Café. It contained a stunning array of local produce and imported knick knacks.



12:00 We watched the Crossley engine being fired up. This is done at midday every day. Its 6 ton fly wheel was most impressive. It was a ‘well oiled’ machine that ran like its name suggested.



12:30 Lunch at Diggers. Burger and chips. Yum



1:30 Back to the caravan to pack away purchases and take in the washing.



2:00 A visit to the indigenous radio station just at the back of the caravan park. Here we got a quick tour and then did a radio interview with Denis. He was hilarious! The interview, hopefully edited a little … even perhaps a lot, would be going to air sometime the next day. Denis burnt us a copy of his interview as a memento.



3:00 A 1 hour trip aboard the PV Jandara up and down the Darling River. We were amused that the same guys captained and crewed this paddle boat as fired up the Crossley engine. Just a quick change of uniform, high viz to capain’s whites.



4:30 Filled up with fuel. Wrote a blog. Had a shower. Dressed for dinner out at Diggers again.



6:30 Picked up by the Diggers courtesy car and taken to the restaurant for dinner.



8:45 Viewed the Indigenous Art Exhibition in the Conference Centre at the Restaurant. Nothing took our fancy.



9:15 Courtesy car back to the caravan.



Exhausted after a hectic, very hot day we collapsed into bed for a very noisy, very hot not so much sleep full night.

PS: We have a video of the Crossley Engine running. This site can't post it at the moment so we will email it to you if you ask via a comment.

PPS: Much to our surprise we are posting this from a free camp half way between Cobar and Wilcannia. Did not expect to get 3G reception in this remote spot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



29th October 2013

Recycling
Like the tinny fish - Bourke sounds cool. You are certainly making good time. PS Don't bother bringing bush flies back with you - we have plenty of the small irritating type since the last drizzle.

Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb