Surfing and Sights In Manly


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
May 21st 2014
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.8671, 151.207

The majority of our day was spent in Manly, a suburb of Sydney. We took a 40 minute ferry ride from Circular Quay to reach there. It was a scenic ride on the water of the Sydney Harbour past the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. Once docked in Manly we headed down the promenade to Manly Beach on the Pacific Ocean. We walked the beach from one end to the other. It was a bright sunny day for beaching. Along the way we often stopped to watch the surfers. It was so calm here compared to the hustling going on in the Central Business District. There are many walking and biking trails in Manly and they were being put to good use today. We followed along one of the walking trails for quite a distance stopping to take in the views of the ocean. We spent some time walking through the residential area which is comprised of individual homes surrounded by tall brick walls and high rise apartment buildings. The area around the dock and the promenade are lined with shops and restaurants along with ice cream and coffee shops. People here in Sydney drink coffee all day long. All the coffee shops are crowded with customers from morning till night and almost everyone else is walking down the street with a coffee. Before we knew it the sun was beginning to set so we took a ferry back to the CBD for dinner.

Early this morning before going to Manly we visited St. Paddy's Market. It had several fruit and vegetable vendors, two candy stalls, a few nut shops, and a spice stall. In another section of the market were the vendors selling clothing, toys, shoes, hats, purses, and various other items. There was a fish section but we never found anyone selling fresh meat. It was interesting but not nearly the size of the market in Melbourne.

An interesting event occurred very near our hotel this evening. There was a student protest, joined by pensioners, to voice their concern over the cuts in education and the rising costs. The masses were shouting and carrying signs while marching past our hotel. They were accompanied by TV crews, mounted police on horseback and at least a 100, probably more, police on foot. They are concerned about health care and the age at which retirement can be collected. Sounds familiar.

We had another great day in Sydney and Manly!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Student DemonstrationStudent Demonstration
Student Demonstration

Government increased fees for student loans


24th May 2014

Love any photos around water, and these look beautiful. You both look relaxed. Wish I were there with you.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 5; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb