My Aussie Backyard...those that slither, climb & crawl


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
October 5th 2016
Published: October 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

My Aussie Backyard...those that slither, climb & crawl. We have so few predator animals in Oz but some of the world's most venomous snakes, spiders and jellyfish. There is the blue-ringed octopus that smiles at you from rock pools but knocks you dead if you dare touch it. One day I'm sitting on the floor playing with our children and a Sydney Funnelweb Spider casually trots between us. They ar... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 21


Advertisement















5th October 2016

OK...
Um, what part of Australia do you live in? Just so I know where to avoid if I come to visit?
5th October 2016

OK...
How lucky are we Karen when Mother Nature allows us to live among its wonderful creatures big and small? As native bushland is eaten away by development I reckon I'm lucky to live next to a National Park in Sydney's North where Nature's creatures can live on some more.
5th October 2016

I love Australis!!
5th October 2016

I love Australis!!
Reckon I do too, Marcos. Yep...reckon I do!
6th October 2016

Is there any creature actually you don't have, Dave?
Perhaps half of the world tourists planning to visit Oz in the next year or so have already retracted their plan after reading your story! I have been checking under my computer desk every five minutes, although I know this is the cold country Canada! Now I know why they call you "Dancing Dave"!!!. But I liked the Slim Newton country song, however, I will never enjoy a red-back sharing the same toilet seat as mine. Last but not the least, it's a photo of beautiful bush country that you and your family live in. I love Eucalyptus! Enjoy your stay, but be safe!
6th October 2016

Is there any creature actually you don't have, Dave?
We had some USA exchange students staying with us one time Tab and I got them to promise not to tell anyone how good it was in Oz for fear of being flooded with tourists! Maybe I should just give them my blog!!! Yet I enjoy the challenge of trying to capture the pretty faces of lizards before they see me and take flight...or spiders moving in on their prey. I guess its the diversity of nature that fascinates me...even better when there are stories & pics to remember it by.
6th October 2016

Amazing Australia
I think there's a reason I live in an apartment building in the middle of the city! Now we co-exist quite peacefully!
6th October 2016

Amazing Australia
Pretty funny Rachael. Yet I bet you have more of those little creatures outside your back door than you think!
6th October 2016

Creep Crawlies ...
Loved your blog Dave, the contents of which, perhaps only another Aussie could truly appreciate and relate to. Overseas visitors are often abhorred at the very thought of Oz having so many creepy crawlies skittering around, let alone the prospect of actually having any personal experience with any of them. And, whilst you and Denise probably have more than your fair share of critters on your beautiful bushland domestic patch than the rest of us, happily, we all seem to be able to co-exist - critter and human - without too much trouble or trauma from any of them. Thankfully, though, for most of us, our encounters with any of the less desirable, are few and far between. :)  A great blog. Thank you. Jan
6th October 2016

Creepy Crawlies ...
Nice to hear from you Jan. I find these little critters fascinating, especially the great variety I discovered when I started looking. I have only been startled twice that I recall. One was nearly stepping on the diamond python in the bush I refer to and another was stepping on a funnelweb in thongs in the dark (which I only discovered after and maybe better I not recall)!!!
7th October 2016

the best backyard I've ever seen
I can only imagine what a magical childhood your children must have had growing up in such a place. But I would've been more cautious had you written this blog before my visit! I've only ever experienced seeing a stray 2 foot pet snake in my apartment once and that got me paranoid inside my apartment for months.
7th October 2016

the best backyard I've ever seen
Hey Harold...you are Mr Bravery in our parts. Wasn't it you that insisted we leave the path and bush bash to near collision with a wallaby? You sat with your legs dangling over a cliff while I had to step back! Then you had your accident playing sport when you got back to the Philippines. Life sucks sometimes but Nature always delights. Hope you are well.
8th October 2016

Great backyard
Lucky you! Living next to a nature reserve, and having all those lovely critters visit you. Can't have enough of them. Spiders eat the mozzies, snakes might like a rat or two and possums add an extra layer of insulation in your roof ;) Dutch countryside is less dangerous, but we also have our critters... Spiders, ants, bees, hedgehogs, rabbits and various birds. Not the same maybe, still enjoy it...
8th October 2016

Great backyard
"having all those lovely critters visit you. Can't have enough of them." Man after my own heart Ralf. I've now blogged the birds then animalia...me thinking a backyard trifecta!
19th October 2016

All those creepy crawling things are at home.
What a clever idea for a blog. Love blogs of home locations. You are the expert on all your creepy crawly things in your area. Love it. Great photos
20th October 2016

All those creepy crawling things are at home
Home is not four walls with a roof and the only life is us bods walking in and out. It is a spot in the microcosm of life where we plonk ourselves down and set roots. You are right MJ...all those creepy crawling things are at our home. Hope one day you can drop by and meet the neighbours!
19th October 2016
Diamond python

Python
Yikes

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb