Parramatta, Pancakes, Chinese New Year and Twenty20 Cricket


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
February 25th 2010
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Parramatta, Pancakes, Chinese New Year and Twenty20 Cricket - February 2010

One afternoon after we both had finished work we went to Parramatta a city 24km west of Sydney. Parramatta is set on a river and holds many stories of Sydney’s colonial past and is also home to New South Wales largest shopping mall. We decided to give shopping a miss and instead walked along the river and through the park seeing some of the old buildings and listening to some very noisy parakeets. On a side note I’d just like to point out that the shops in NSW’s largest shopping mall shut at 5.30pm, it’s certainly no Trafford Centre!

On Sunday 21st of February we joined in some of the Chinese New Year Celebrations by going to the Twilight Parade in the city centre. Several streets had been closed to allow a procession of carnival style floats to pass through. There were brightly coloured designs, a lot of them featuring a tiger, seeing as it is the year of the tiger. There were also Chinese lanterns, music and dancing and they out on a good show. The event concluded with a spectacular firework display at Darling Harbour.
Tossing my pancake!Tossing my pancake!Tossing my pancake!

Pancake Day in Australia!

The evening of Tuesday 23rd February saw us take a trip to Sydney Cricket Ground for a Twenty20 match. Sydney were playing the West Indies in the final game of the summer. The stadium was packed with 32,000 people and there was a great atmosphere with music, chants and fireworks every time a 6 was scored or a West Indies player was got out. There was some big hitting cricket played and Shane Warner scored the 2nd fastest half century (off 18 balls) in Twenty20 history. The Aussies outplayed the West Indies and won the game in their 12th over. The Aussies may be able to beat the Windies but who holds the Ashes at the moment?!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Doddy in the BeastDoddy in the Beast
Doddy in the Beast

Our beautiful Holden Commodore
Twenty20 CricketTwenty20 Cricket
Twenty20 Cricket

Australia Vs. West Indies


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb