Sightseeing in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
June 15th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our arrival in Sydney was met with torrents of rain and floods - a relief for Sydney as they had been having very bad droughts but not a relief for us as we once again had to slip into our oh-so-wonderful rain macs.

We stayed at the YHA at Glebe Point a 10 minute bus ride form the centre. We were very impressed with the accommodation! We felt like true backapckers as we found our dorm with bunkbeds in - very Guide Camp-esque.

We got settled and then caught the local bus into the town centre. We decided to do the open top sightseeing bus ride around Sydney to get our bearings. This seemed like a good idea until it started to rain heavily again and we had to sit downstairs so didn't get to see as much as we'd have liked. However, it was interesting and took us past all the significant areas, such as Sydney Aquarium, The Rocks, Circular Quay, Kings Cross, Woolloomooloo Bay, the Botanical Gardens and Hyde Park. We stopped off at the Sydney Opera House (still raining hence the rather grey photos) where we admired the views of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. We had a look through the programme and decided to book tickets to see 'Eigensinn' a contemporary dance performance showing that evening.

We hopped back on the bus and then stooped again at Darling Harbour and the Chinese Gardens where we had some dinner. By this time it was getting late and dark and we decided not to go home and change (which was the original plan) and walked up through the streets to the Opera House feeling very grubby and rained on.

The performance was...interesting. It was a solo perfomance by a Geman women called Antje Pfundtner, and was a mixture of storytelling and dance inspired by her own life events as well as the story of 'The Wilful Child' by the Brothers Grimm.

The auditorium was full and as the piece began Fee and I had already started surpressing the giggles. The first 15 minutes was in utter silence as she threw herself around and gruffed and made strange sounds. The tension was so unbearable that I had to pinch myself hard to stop myself laughing and I could hear Fee snorting now and again as she examined the programme closely.

After what seemed like ages, the narration began and we were able to watch the performance like the civilised and sensible ex students we are supposed to be. We really enjoyed the large majority of it and stayed behind after to listen to the talk back session, which helped us answer some of our questions. After the show we walked back in the rain after meeting up with an old uni friend for a few drinks. A very wet but enjoyable day!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



4th July 2007

kag in a bag!
hmm anna your kag in a bag seems strangely familiar....(and despite what adam says we're not just followers of fashion - we're too cool for that hehe ;o) )

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb