The Dutch Masters...so the Dutch conquered Australia after all


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 24th 2018
Published: March 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I could have been Dutch but they didn't want me. The first Europeans to discover Australia but only for accidental visits. Willem Jantz mapped northern Queensland in the Duyfken in 1603 but not welcomed by aborigines and left. Dirk Hartog left a pewter plate on an island off Western Australia in 1616 that he named New Holland. Abel Tasman missed mainland Oz completely in 1642 and hit Tasmania,... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Rembrandt van RijnRembrandt van Rijn
Rembrandt van Rijn

"The Three Crosses" 1653,
Rembrandt van RijnRembrandt van Rijn
Rembrandt van Rijn

"Christ preaching (the hundred guilder print) 1648
Rembrandt van RijnRembrandt van Rijn
Rembrandt van Rijn

"Abraham sacrificing Isaac" 1648
Melchior de HondecoeterMelchior de Hondecoeter
Melchior de Hondecoeter

"Birds in a Park" 1686
Melchior de Hondecoeter Melchior de Hondecoeter
Melchior de Hondecoeter

"Birds in a Park" 1686
Jan Davidsz de HeemJan Davidsz de Heem
Jan Davidsz de Heem

"Still life with Books" 1628
Arys de Vois Arys de Vois
Arys de Vois

"The Merry Fiddler" 1660-80
Jan SteenJan Steen
Jan Steen

"The Merry Homecoming" 1670-79
Jan Steen Jan Steen
Jan Steen

"The Merry Homecoming" 1670-79
Jan Steen Jan Steen
Jan Steen

"The Merry Homecoming" 1670-79
Jan SteenJan Steen
Jan Steen

Jan Steen - "The Merry Homecoming" 1670-79
Jan SteenJan Steen
Jan Steen

"The Merry Homecoming" 1670-79
Gabriel MetsuGabriel Metsu
Gabriel Metsu

"The herring-seller" 1656-58
Egbert Lievensz van PoolEgbert Lievensz van Pool
Egbert Lievensz van Pool

"Explosion of the Powder Magazine in Delpht" 1654
Egbert Lievensz van PoolEgbert Lievensz van Pool
Egbert Lievensz van Pool

"Explosion of the Powder Magazine in Delpht" 1654
Jan van GoyenJan van Goyen
Jan van Goyen

"View of a Village on a River" 1645
Aert vandeer NeerAert vandeer Neer
Aert vandeer Neer

"River view in winter" 1655-60
Jan van de CapelleJan van de Capelle
Jan van de Capelle

"Winter Scene" 1652-53
Jan van de Capelle Jan van de Capelle
Jan van de Capelle

"Winter Scene" 1652-53
Frans Jansz Post Frans Jansz Post
Frans Jansz Post

"Brazilian landscape with village of Igaracu" 1659
Paulus PotterPaulus Potter
Paulus Potter

"Three cows" 1649



24th March 2018

Amazing pieces of art and thanks for the history lesson!
If I were around I would certainly go and see the exhibition, especially Rembrandt, incredible how he was able to play with light and shade. And in fact it would be interesting what it would have been like had the Dutch conquered Australia. Thanks for the brief outline of Australian/Dutch/British history here! I have to say that the prisoners from England turned into a really friendly people, I always love coming to Oz, especially for the Aussies.
24th March 2018

Amazing pieces of art and thanks for the history lesson!
Thanks for checking in Katha. This exhibition really opened my eyes. I've been to exhibitions of artists I had heard of but to be introduced to works by Gerard Dou, Jan Steen, Pieter de Hooch and the other Dutch Masters...wow...gotta get to the Rijksmuseum somehow!
24th March 2018

A great fill in!
A good lesson of History, Dave. I admire your tenacity of taking notes of the painting database! Wow! I couldn't have done that....I don't have that patience. I have reservations about two things you mentioned: First, no I will not swim the English Channel in that cold water, let alone I hardly can swim...only a bit I learnt motivated by Binkleys. Second, "keeping an eye on her Dutch boyfriend"; ummm, may not be a good idea.....you wanna get back to OZ in one piece someday, right?
24th March 2018

A great fill in!
I scrawled the names of the works on a tiny pad as I took the shots then had difficulty deciphering them when I prepared this blog, Tab. Glad I did. Glad this has also given me a mighty excuse to check out those Dad things and engage in some spying on our daughter and her boyfriend in the Netherlands as well.
24th March 2018

Interesting to Contemplate
What an interesting thought. Had the Dutch stayed to colonize Australia, how different it would be. I see a movie in the making. Can the Dancer Direct???
24th March 2018

Interesting to Contemplate
The Dutch got so so close Brendan. Just didn't go those few extra miles to discover a continent. Then La Perouse from France arrived in Botany Bay two days after Capt Arthur Phillip had arrived with the First Fleet of 11 ships of convicts from England...while they were setting up! If La Perouse had arrived before Phillip...would we be French after all? "Ca Va. C'est la vie"!!!
25th March 2018

Wow! That's a lot of art...
but you might want to rethink being Dutch, especially in the 1600's. They ignored Australia because they found a much greater prize...the Spice Islands. The greatest of these was Banda Island which was the only place that nutmeg could be found in the world and nutmeg was worth more than its weight in gold. Unfortunately, this was the one island in the entire East Indies that the English had claimed. The Dutch wanted it and attacked and tortured the East India Company employees mercilessly. Finally the Royal Fleet could not sustain protection of the East India Company, so England traded Banda Island for Manhattan Island. So your forbearers got the better deal in the end economically until the little matter of a Revolution! I understand the Dutch are much nicer now, so you should meet your daughter's boyfriend...soon.
25th March 2018

Wow! That's a lot of art...
10CC sang "Art for Art's sake". But who sings for the greed, avarice and bloodshed in Banda? "Nutmeg for Flavour's sake"? or maybe "New York, New York...swapped for Nutmeg's sake"? Thanks for the history lesson Bob. I still reckon the Dutch missed the bigger prize.
25th March 2018

Those explorers should have used GPS
Dutchy does not have the ring of Dancer so please don't change your name. It is amazing standing among the works of the Masters. Sounds like a great show. Gasp and gawk could be the title of your book... Denise what do you think? Can't wait for the blog about the festival later in the year.
25th March 2018

Those explorers should have used GPS
I kinda like the name Dancer, MJ...much more refined than Gawker of Gasper!
25th March 2018
Jan de Bray

Amazing
Beauty
25th March 2018
Jan de Bray

Amazing Beauty
Jan de Bray's "Judith and Holofenes"...interesting choice MJ. I am captivated by Jan de Bray's "Governors of the Guild of St Thomas" that I show in detail in my blog. Further reason to visit the Rijksmuseum to see more of his work. Extraordinary images that enrich the soul.
25th March 2018
Jan Weenix

Reality
Such emotion
25th March 2018
Jan Weenix

Reality Such emotion
One has to look to see the detail in these works. It is then one sees the artist has painstakingly detailed single hairs on disputing men's heads and in this case in a still life of a hare. Amazing skill.
25th March 2018

There can only be one Dutch, and that is me!
And what would have happened if the Dutch had colonised Australia... Hmmm... Let me think, aboriginals killed off, perhaps a bit of apartheid thrown in for good measure, some guilt at the end of it all, and canabis free for all. Basically the same as when the Brits colonised it, minus the hemp at the end. But don't worry the Dutch would never have colonised it, if they couldn't make a buck out of it it wasn't worth their effort. The Dutch were traders, not colonists, which they found a nuisance as it just cost them money. The only reason the Cape was colonised was to provide fresh veggies for the ships passing by. All that aside, do come to Holland, there are plenty of museums, not just in Amsterdam, and come in spring to see art in nature, the fields of flowers as you fly in are like a Mondrian from above.
25th March 2018

There can only be one Dutch, and that is me!
I was thinking of you when I penned this blog Ralf. Traders not colonists...the whys and the wherefores...fascinating stuff. Then you mentioned Mondrian...the world's most over-rated artist in my opinion. Fortunately he was not Dutch...but wars could be fought over such an expression of opinion...or much less!
25th March 2018

Connections
I like this. Interesting content. I feel a connection. You mentioned La Perouse and Botany Bay and Joseph Banks the 'botanist' whose drawings of unique flora and fauna captured English imaginations. I live (as a botanist) on the frozen shores of Hudson Bay in Churchill, where La Perouse sailed in 1782 to destroy the Hudson's Bay Company fort that stood on the bank of the Churchill River. I also used to live in Holland in the 90s - I could've been a Dutchy-Dave. However, as far as a Dancing Dutchman goes, well, there already is a Flying Dutchman, so why not? Dave
26th March 2018

Connections
And there I was thinking La Perouse was a gentleman 'cos he didn't raise his dukes to Phillip at Botany Bay notwithstanding France and England were at war...accepting the English got to raise their flag first. Maybe he sailed in full of regret he'd burnt the Hudson Bay company fort in Canada 6 years before. Am I rewriting history by suggesting that? Maybe/Maybe not. Anyway the more connections you give the more I think we may be related. I've mentioned my grandmother the first woman doctor in Newfoundland...then there's the great-uncle who spawned in British Columbia, the great-uncle who burnt down his nursing home in Ontario...and then there is the cousin in the Canadian Airforce who represented Canada in curling. Ya gotta love curling between flora in Churchill...don't ya?
25th March 2018

AGNSW Dutch Masters exhibition
Wow, you seem to have taken photos of the lot! I could have saved my money had I known!! Only kidding; there's nothing like standing in front of the real thing. We also saw some of these paintings when we were in Amsterdam (where I lost my favourite scarf) and visited the Riijksmuseum. I've still to visit the Lady and the Unicorn before it leaves these shores which I'm looking forward to.
26th March 2018

AGNSW Dutch Masters exhibition
You have seen the exhibition and know what I'm talking about Michelle. No I did not take pics of the lot...coulda, woulda, shoulda...certainly coulda which may be a departure to the Rijksmuseum...but I don't know. Enjoy the Unicorn. Maybe I can check that out too!
26th March 2018

Don't feel too rejected...
Haha I was about to say they didn't want you because they wanted me... but I see Bob and Ralf have beaten me to it :) Their plundering and pillaging of South and South East Asia clearly took precedence, but as colonial masters go, they're rated better than the Portuguese but worse than the British (by Sri Lankans anyway). Hope the travel gods smile on your travel plans, I'll be awaiting the photos of the Channel swim :)
26th March 2018

Don't feel too rejected...
A bit of rejection from the Dutch never hurt us Aussies, Ren...especially if it is from those who missed the biggest prize. The rest is history so they say. Still gotta get to the Netherlands somehow to spy on my daughter's Dutch boyfriend...then we'll see whose gotta pay!
26th March 2018
Rembrandt van Rijn

I can recommend the Rembrandt House Museum in Amsterdam
If you are oing to visit Amsterdam and haven't seen the Rembrandt House Museum I can recommend it. It is in his old house, everythng is very true to how it looked like when RvR lived there however nothing is original. It is still worth a visit if you are a bit interested in art and you find yourself in Amsterdam. /Ake
26th March 2018
Rembrandt van Rijn

I can recommend the Rembrandt House Museum in Amsterdam
Thanks Ake. Netherlands in Oz distances is close enough to Sweden we'd regard you as neighbours. Thanks for the local knowledge aka for the tip.
26th March 2018

Hi Dave, Interesting blog! How much easier it would have been for all those Dutch Masters if they'd had a digital camera! I recall the Bishop of Brisbane being interviewed on the radio many years back. He said his parishioners asked him why he wanted to come to England. 'That's where all those convicts came from,' they said. We're off to Ireland in a few weeks, so we'll keep an eye out for Rory. David
26th March 2018

We'll keep an eye out for Rory
Hope you get to hug Rory Gallagher's statue in Ballyshannon David. Make sure you fly into his Airport aka Cork I believe. Also do yourself a favour and listen to his Irish Tour album. Not quite sitar but It's what we will be travelling by.
26th March 2018

Dutch were great explorer.
Interesting blog Dave, Dutch have settled down in some parts of Asia too. When I was in Taiwan I read the history of the country.
27th March 2018

Dutch were great explorers.
They certainly were Marcos. Must have been an interesting read when you were in Taiwan.
6th April 2018

Interesting "What If" Scenario
Regardless of how it would have turned out though, those are some marvellous pieces of art. :)
7th April 2018

Interesting "What If" Scenario
A lot of life is a "What If" scenario Per-Olof. Sometimes you've gotta grab it by the throat and then it becomes a "Gotcha Moment." If not...it just slips by. C'est la vie!
31st May 2018

Cataloguing the Art
Dave , you did a really good job of cataloguing the fabulous pictures you saw. I often take the photos and then later wish I had written down which ones were which ! Dutch Masters ..absolutely awesome. I saw an exhibition Vermeer and his Women a few years ago , and also got to see Girl with Pearl Earring in SAN Francisco when I was there ...sublime . I wonder what is on exhibition when I will be in Sydney , a week in October and then Xmas / NY time. Will PM you about possible meeting up.
31st May 2018

Cataloguing the Art
Balancing a notebook and camera in the other? What hand for the pen? That;s where an over the shoulder camera bag comes in. Nice to hear from you Lynne...further art delights in Sydney for my next blog. You also cannot predict what will happen if we can get together when you hit Sydney...Art for Art's Sake?

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 20; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb