We call him Sam...but maybe it should be Cath & Sam


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Goulburn
February 4th 2018
Published: February 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Once in a while someone's generosity of heart moves many to say, "Thank you, we appreciate what you do for us."

Born Stephen but to his school friends from decades ago, he's Sam.

We met at Sydney Grammar School...among 180 first year boys.

I was the little blonde kid in the Rugby Union team for the tinys...those kids that had to play against other GPS school teams of the same age but tiny.

T'was I who broke a finger as wicket keeper in the cricket team and whose hand-caste came off while swimming in the Lane Cove River.

It was playing cricket that I met Sam.

He was the biggest boy in the team, the slowest runner...but the most dependable.

Master of the block...that defensive stroke where you don't score runs but you don't get out.

No one could block like Sam...or did it so often.

The batsman at the other end would smash the ball to score the runs...but Sam's role was to not get out.

And being in lower teams where no one thinks they are a maestro...Sam's skill at stymieing bowling attacks and not getting out made him a local hero...cheered off the field week in week out...as long as we ended up winning that is...and win we usually did.

In later school years he was Captain of the 4th Eleven...the Gentleman's Eleven...those boys that were in it for the social rather than the competition...one of the school's most successful cricket teams as it turned out.

And why was Sam the Captain if his role was not to score runs?

Because he was the master organiser...the skill for which I dedicate this blog.

'Cos 40 years on he is the one who brings the Old Boys together...the organiser of school reunions.

And if 'twas not for Sam many of us agree we would not keep in touch...albeit once a year or less seldom...but if not for Sam...probably never.

A group needs an organiser...the one who oils the wheel...the one who contacts everyone...no matter where they are in the World...calling us together...and a healthy number of us accept the call.

******



I was in cricket teams with Sam for 3 years but being the tennis player in the year, after 3rd year I had no sporting association with Sam as I pursued representative honours on the grass tennis courts of White City.

I was constantly on tennis or squash courts which is probably why I now practice in the law courts.

Our school year resulted in an abundance of all conceivable pursuits, doctors, dentists, teachers, accountants, farmers, businessmen, artists, musicians...the most being lawyers.

And one of those lawyers was Sam...aka Stephen J. Lamond.

After he qualified, Sam moved to Goulburn, a southern New South Wales rural town and his life for the next 40 years as a Country solicitor began.

Several years later when visiting Sydney, he was introduced to Catherine, an Irish Catholic girl who while waiting for him in a hotel for their first date was approached by a young man who was not put off by her protests she was waiting for another.

Imagine her surprise when her solicitor date Stephen walked in and greeted her pesterer with, "Tony, how are you mate?"

To which he replied, "Good to see you, Sam."

Poor Cath.

Not only did her date know the pesterer from school days (Tony Dawes)...her date had also she thought...given her a false name!!!

Oh well...she ended up marrying him...an Irish Catholic marrying an Anglican...unheard of in those days!

******



On leaving school we all went our separate ways as you do...life's journey...many paths.

Sam says Scott Smith was responsible for organising a data base of the old boys from our year...compiled over many years as each of us knew at least one other's contact details.

I understand Dave Morgan, Phil Ludowici, Cameron Dalyell, maybe others helped organise reunions as well.

I'll always remember Cameron...tells the same story each reunion...how a group of us schoolboys had been camping in the Blue Gum Forest in the Blue Mountains of NSW when before we climbed the massive cliff at Govett's Leap we stopped for lunch, whereupon he asked me, "Dave, can we have the rocks for the campfire, please?"

I thought my pack was heavy.

Turns out they had loaded my pack with rocks from our campsite before we had set out that day!!!



Over the years one can meet old school mates in the most unusual places.

Day 2 of the Festival au Desert at Timbuktu in Mali, West Africa in 2011...my wedding day.

Really my recomittment after 30 years of wedded bliss.

Crawl out of my sleeping bag...Guy calls me to meet the Tuareg Chief who wants to go through the wedding arrangements with me...into the communal goatskin tent.

Meet Mamayti the Chief, an older Tuareg & his wife. Guy, Joannah & me...Mamayti is running the show...Joannah folding her wedding planner lists up in resignation.

"We will lend you special Tuareg ornaments to make it authentic...you will ride out on camels after the heat of the day...say 4.30pm...and come back at 5pm for the wedding ceremony."

Mamayti advises the price for the Tuaregs for our festivities...OK we all benefit...I pay the price.

Immediately Tuaregs start clearing our encampment...laying benches...mats...expectation building.

A man walks into our encampment..."Excuse me ...Are you David Hooper?"

Blow me over with a feather...its Peter Jensen...a classmate from high school in Sydney 40 years ago.

So...of course...I invited him to our wedding!

See my blog Our Tuareg Wedding...Festival Au Desert...Timbuktu, Mali



Next week Mark Mawson is coming from Hamilton Island and invited old boys for drinks at a pub in Paddington before he heads off to China to conduct golf coaching clinics.

Carey McMahon (the racing car driver from our year) and I will be present. - see my blog Muscle Car Masters : Motor Racing...the Carey McMahon story

Who else will be there?

******



Over the years we had 5 yearly Reunions that were advertised by Wendy Scotter for the Old Sydnean's Union thinking we may have wanted to keep in touch...some did and some didn't.

I did not particularly have fond memories of my school days but I went to the Reunions anyway.

And by doing so I found that childhood prejudices had been thrown away and everyone was delighted to see the others.

I firmly believe this was largely due to Sam...who with the able assistance of Cath who sent a lot of the emails...oiled the wheels of camaraderie...of inclusion...of shared histories of our informative years...that contributed to us being the men...albeit all very different...that we are today.



Who can forget the look on Jimmy Fong's face when he attended his first school reunion a couple of years ago...having resisted invitations for over 40 years...greeted as a long lost friend...all so so happy he had chosen to attend.



School reunions...thanks to Sam...or is it Cath & Sam...some now yearly...memorable occasions in which to be.

******



Cath is an extraordinary woman.

I understand she is a Registered Nurse who rose to Executive nursing roles...had a business in overseeing infection control protocols for health services in Australia and overseas...now retired to look after Sam.

Recently Denise and I travelled to Goulburn to stay with Sam and Cath.

Sam had not been well for many years following a motor vehicle accident in 2009 with serious orthopaedic and cardiac issues requiring extensive hospitalisations and pending operations that are not minor.

Some of the old boys had kept in touch during these ordeals which had raised his spirits and inspired his determination to endure.

We found my old friend with limited mobility but an undiminished generosity of heart and love of life.

And the reason for his positive attitude all comes down to Cath...his wife...lover...carer...and rock.

Her career and expertise in nursing are obvious plusses.

But to me it was the strength of their relationship that was the key.

They had a recent trip to Paris for Cath's 60th birthday.

Cath
carried all the suitcases...everywhere...up train station stairs...helping Sam at the same time who is a big man and whose mobility is very restricted...struggle struggle...never complaining...you get the picture.

Was my pleasure to introduce my dance partner Denise to them both and to enjoy a couple of days chewing the fat and enjoying each other's company.

Not surprisingly Denise and Cath got on famously...and surprisingly while there was cricket on TV...Sam was more interested in chatting with us...often wincing in pain...his demeanour indicating that his health benefited from our presence.

******



I include some old school photos of the 3 junior cricket teams I was in with Sam.

I also include one of a junior tennis team I captained that played a GPS Schools tournament at White City that included some of our year.

Some old boys may delight in their pics as youngsters and of those who shared those moments with them. I remember the names of all of you.

See if you can recognise the smiling faces as well.

******



Sam & Cath keep their home open for visitors to drop in or stay when in
Sam on a Brass PlaqueSam on a Brass PlaqueSam on a Brass Plaque

Montague Street, Goulburn
Goulburn.

From schooldays those who have accepted the invitations include:

David Grinston, Mitch Jakeman, Laurie Fahey, Tim Watson-Munro, Mark Sewell, Tony Harrington, Steve Hodgkinson, Piers Laverty, Steve Ward and now Dancing & Denise Hooper...maybe more.

Let me vouch for the accommodation provided...all meals of which Denise's cakes & goodies contributed...air-conditioned bedroom...even our own private bathroom.

Yep...we'll come again!!!

******



Cath and Sam assist with community projects. That is where they met two men from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) who embraced them when we went to Fredo's Mobile Kitchen for dinner one night.

The Goat Curry and Beef Ragu were superb.

I do not know Fredo's story but he believes he has the only mobile African food truck in Australia...thriving on the late night pub crowds that need a feed...a hard working refugee that deserves a break.

His friend Ishmael dropped by...embraced Sam & Cath and told me his story.

His parents were killed in the war in the DRC and at age 12 he ran and escaped the carnage with his 14 year old brother. They travelled on foot through Uganda, Rwanda and ended up in a refugee camp in Ethiopia for a couple of years. Then a refugee camp in Kenya.

His face lit up like a phosphorescent fountain emerging from darkness when he said receiving the news they had been accepted as refugees to come to Australia...was the happiest day of his life.

No harder working, more enthused with life family man, you could meet...a beacon for the positive aspects of refugee immigration policies of our blessed homeland of Oz.

Men blessed by the generosity of Sam and Cath.

We left Goulburn...the Giant Merino Sheep grinning...me determined I should do this blog...to be a total surprise to them.

To thank them for what they do for us Old Boys.

A thank you for their selfless regard for others.



Relax & Enjoy,

Dancing Dave


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Sydney Grammar SchoolSydney Grammar School
Sydney Grammar School

Honour Board SGS Old Boys who died in WW1
Pride of GoulburnPride of Goulburn
Pride of Goulburn

Denise at Goulburn Library
Dinner on the deckDinner on the deck
Dinner on the deck

Sam, Denise & Cath

Dancing with DemonsDancing with Demons
Dancing with Demons

Tim Watson-Munro's bestseller


4th February 2018

Well deserved for a very special pair Sam and Cath
Sam and I met in 1964 in year five at SGS prep in St Ives and were friends from the start. After more than 40 years Julia and I had a very pleasant evening with Cath and Sam in Port Douglas - real friendships last the test of time.
4th February 2018

Well deserved for a very special pair Sam and Cath
Real friendships endure...how true. Another of Sam's skills no doubt. Thanks for commenting Andre. Sam will be chuffed I'm sure.
4th February 2018

Great Tribute
Sam and Cath, really appreciated.Looking forward to the next reunion and seeing all those school mates.
4th February 2018

Great Tribute
Thanks Duncan. You express a generosity of spirit by commenting. Sam would appreciate that. See you at the next reunion.
5th February 2018

Thanks Sam & Cath
A great tribute David, well done it is well deserved and probably long overdue. The Sam story is a great one, he is a man admired by his peers for all the qualities and the enthusiasm that you have recognised and chronicled. You are right to observe that our regular reunions are down to Sam, except we were very lucky that Cath chose well, trusted her judgement for without this duo as a team I suspect reunions may have suffered. Thanks Sam & Cath, love your work, appreciate your efforts and I look forward to catching up again soon. My best wishes to you both and also to you David until that day. Warmest wishes Graham.
5th February 2018

Thanks Sam & Cath
Really appreciate your comment Graham. I had this gut feeling from reunions past when I helped Sam walk to venues that he that physically found it most difficult to attend and travelled from Goulburn to Sydney to do so, was (with Cath by his side) the one who made it happen time and again. Then when sitting in his house with him saying he was happy to keep doing so, but health obviously compromised, I had to put his name in lights and thank him for what he does for us. This blog is from all of us and from the positive feedback such as your own, my words are echoed by many others. How good is that?
5th February 2018

Sam
Hi David, I very much enjoyed reading your dedication to Sam. Yes, the OSU organises many wonderful reunions but Sam went that extra yard to keep the association close for those that wished to meet on a more regular basis. I loved the cricket story about Sam holding up one end ala Boycott. Sorry to hear Sam is not in the best of health but pleased that he is being looked after by such a wonderful carer and life partner. Trust you are well and still travelling and enjoying those “less travelled roads”. Cheers, Geoff Simmons
6th February 2018

Sam
Thank you for your kind comment Geoff. I do appreciate the role of the Old Sydnean's Union (OSU) in organising reunions and particularly of the dedication of Wendy Scotter which Sam also acknowledges. However, Sam went the extra yard and just like in his cricket...Sam always held his end.
7th February 2018

Beautiful Tribute
Very nice read that tugs at the heartstrings, beautiful.
7th February 2018

Beautiful Tribute
An acknowledgement all the way from Sweden...that's very special and appreciated Per-Olof. Thank you.
7th February 2018

Tribute to our good friend
Hi David Your tribute to our good friend Sam really encapsulates Sam’s generosity of spirit and his huge heart filled with kindness and consideration for others. And then there is his wonderful soulmate Cath. A perfect match. Thank you Dave for bringing it all together. Kind regards Chris
7th February 2018

Tribute to our good friend
Thanks for reading and spending the time to comment Chris. Sam is such a humble chap it is nice for him to see we all are appreciative of what he does for us. It costs nothing to say something nice so it was my pleasure to do the blog. I hope many express the sentiments from your kind words. Thanks again
7th February 2018

the indefatigable component
I'm in full agreement with Chris Hodgekiss. Sam has been the indefatigable component that has kept us so well connected. Well done David H for your tribute! Regards to all David Grinston
7th February 2018

the indefatigable component
Thanks for commenting David. As I recall David and Stephen were the most popular names in our year. Yet this Stephen we knew as Sam. I was David Cinq in 1st Year French. I wonder if you were David Quatre? A piece of trivia to throw in there.
7th February 2018

A special man
Sam is a special man as per the tributes – no doubt, and well supported by the lovely Cath. Also – just a reminder – a few of the lads are getting together this Sunday 11th Feb at the London Pub at Paddo at 12 noon for a few drinkies, as arranged by Mark Mawson. The first 3 confirmed attendees were Mawson, Rigg and Watson-Munro so I initially thought it was reunion for “naughty boys only”, but all are welcome. Even the teachers’ pets.
7th February 2018

A special man
We all know who was the naughty boy don't we Craig? If not, I'll give you a mirror on Sunday. Thanks for commenting.
7th February 2018

Well said
Well said David Hooper Brilliantly and eloquently written Sam is indeed everything that you mentioned and a fantastic cricket brain as well, I don’t think that anyone who knows him could ever say a bad word about him and his beautiful wife, they are indeed a match made in heaven We all wish Sam a speedy recovery and hope to catch up with him at our next rendezvous It’s truly wonderful to catch up with our fantastic school mates reliving old memories and creating new ones Mark Douglas Mawson
7th February 2018

Well said
Thanks Mark. Also thanks that you are coming from Queensland to Sydney and have arranged a meet up next weekend. Sam has ensured many of us have an enduring bond so it is up to others to keep it going if or when Sam is unavailable to do so. Thanks for playing a part.
7th February 2018

Well deserved contribution to our mate Sam
Thank you “Dancing Dave” Hooper for taking the time to pen this timely and well deserved contribution to our mate Sam. I have been fortunate to have remained in fairly regular contact with Sam over the years, aided by annual lunches at the SCG and our wives being in the same profession (infection control nurses). Sam I am sure you will pull thru this latest setback and be back as good as ever Ian Rewell
7th February 2018

Well deserved contribution to our mate Sam
Thanks Ian...or maybe I should call you Sticks! Hope you saw you are in some of the cricket photos in my blog. Interesting your wife knows Cath through their work. Small World isn't it? Enjoy.
8th February 2018

Captured our thoughts and feelings so elequently
David, We all love and respect Sam for who he is and what he has done over the years, but your story, so elequently told, summarises what we all feel about Sam but didn’t have the ability to present in such an engaging, respectful and eclectic story. Thank you, Carey
8th February 2018

Captured our thoughts and feelings so eloquently
It strikes me Carey that my blog has hit a chord that the musicians/band members from our year should play for us at our next reunion. Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love. How lucky with our year of high achievers the one we hold in highest esteem is one who gives a lot and asks for nothing in return. This was for you Sam to thank you what to do for us...and many have echoed the call.
10th February 2018

Gentlemen and Mr “Justice” Lamond
After reading David Hooper's dedication to our great friend Mr “Justice” Lamond I was most concerned. Clearly as David Hooper pointed out to me when I rang him that I had not read his dedication carefully enough which is why he is a solicitor and I'm not. My concern was that our great friend had been called to sit on the celestial bench and Captain the celestial 1st 11. Naturally I'm very pleased that he is still with us although I understand that he will have to shortly pad up and face some medical bouncers. Stephen (Sam) our thoughts are with you and Cath. May I suggest that you practice the hook shot and belt them to leg and move on to your century after a well-made 60+. We all look forward to seeing you hail and hearty at the next gathering and thank you for all the work in keeping the class of 71 in some form of contact. Regards Stephen Hodgkinson
10th February 2018

Gentlemen and Mr “Justice” Lamond
Sam tells me you still play cricket Stephen...still mesmerising batsmen and still spinning the ball. I will never forget you. One day while I was wicket keeping, one of your spinners hit the top of the stumps and shot up and hit me in the face. Not only did I think you had broken my nose but the bails did not come off and the batsman was therefore not out!!! Glad you have now read my blog more carefully. Sam is the master of the block...and as usual is very much "Not Out."
10th February 2018

From Sam himself
Hello David and Denise , from Malua Bay . C Atherton and I just wanted to say how touched we were to read your Blog . These and other comments make our efforts feel very worthwhile , not to mention humble . We certainly enjoyed your visit and stay . I will organise another late in the year . Any suggestions for venue or format ? Cheers Sam .
10th February 2018

From Sam himself
Glad you have read my blog and stroked the ball back in your usual style. May you continue your wonderful innings with Cath and enjoy the company of the Old Boys as our Captain and Friend. We raise our glasses in your honour Sam. Thank you for being you,
13th February 2018

Sam is a connector
Great friends, great reunions. still love the Tureg wedding stories....that is when I first starting reading your blogs! Friendships last over miles and time. Nothing better.
13th February 2018

Sam is a connector
Appreciate you reading and commenting all the way from USA. This blog in praise of a reluctant hero named Sam. Much loved. A man whose friendships last over miles and time for sure. A man who pursues friendships because to him they are to be treasured. Just like ours.
6th March 2018

The Joy of Friendship
While I don't know any of the people you mention in this blog I certainly enjoyed reading it as it's a great testament to the joy of friendship. And as I'm in the final stages of writing a biography of an Australian who died in the Somme in 1916 - who before he went to the King's School was at Sydney Grammar School - I feel I do at least have a little connection there!!
6th March 2018

The Joy of Friendship
Maybe your subject is named on the Honour Board of those Old Sydneans who died in WWI that I have in one of my photos in this blog, Michelle & Kevin. I gazed at that Honour Board in school assemblies over my years...contemplating how many names were on it...and all from one school. Maybe you should contact SGS and enquire if your digger's name is on it. Let me know when you publish please. It is only when one writes of another that we can be sure "Lest we Forget."

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 17; qc: 31; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb