Kiama- this is why I really love traveling


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » South Coast
November 25th 2007
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kiama

A must see

The big birdsThe big birdsThe big birds

These guys are so cool
So we left Bondi Beach early in the morning and had to go back into Sydney. After reading Lonely Planet on the way back in we deceided to take a chance with a random location. Like I said before we only had one thing planned and that was to stay south. So we read up on what was south of Sydney. We had a couple of choices Wollongong which is a big city again but with beach life, Nowra, Shell Harbour a popular holiday town, and Kiama "a pretty town with good beaches". So with out knowing more than that we jumped on the train again and headed to Kiama, all we were really hoping for was something small and quiet where we could get a good nights sleep. As we sat on the train we passed Wollongong first, it looked dirty and city like, but as we traveled further south the scenery got a lot nicer. We arrived in Kiama and got off the train apparently with very confused faces enough to make 3 transit officers approach us and ask us if we were lost. There was only one hostel in Kiama and luckily it was just around the corner.
The cool little palm treesThe cool little palm treesThe cool little palm trees

Mark loves these trees
Actually everything in Kiama is just around the corner! Everything about Kiama was completely different from what we had experienced thus far. And what a relief because after Bondi we needed something to pick our spirits up again. We found the hostel and met the owner. He was definetly an Aussie, boots and all! We were pleased to find out we were the only people staying the night, we had a huge double bed in a room to ourselves and the whole place was totally clean. The best thing of all it cost about half of what we had been paying. So right away we deceided we would stay for a couple of nights and I wish we had of stayed more. We took a walk around and found that Kiama is a pretty little town big on fishing. They have a great harbour with these huge stork looking birds everywhere. The feel of the place is actually like the East Coast in Canada, very relaxed and homey feeling. The next morning we woke up nice and early per usual. The weather was amazing so we deceided to head to the visitor center and find out what we could do for the day. The owner of the hostel gave us a brochure of Kiama and on the front was a georgeous picture of some beach so I asked about it. We found out that all along the coast was a bunch of little scenic spots to check out, along the "kiama walk" to Minnamurra, about 10km. We made sure we brought the camera and lots of water but unfortunely forgot sunscreen. I know major mistake and believe me we didn't notice throughout the day but we sure felt it the next day, we got burnt! But had the most amazing day, even as of now. We definelty had our kind of day, we explored big rock formations and acted like total kids, walked along a georgeous beach with no one else around, and found the place in the brochure. Which looked like two shallow clear ponds you walk across to an island but actually turned out to be a lot deeper. We found out by walking into it and shortly finding water past our waist. No we were not in our bathing suits. Oh and it was the first day we really got acquinted with all the flies that live in Australia. They are the most annoying thing here, and love hitching a ride as you will see in the picture. Kiama has a lot of other cool creatures though. These cool lizards were everywhere and they have the most pretty birds, it really made me miss my bird at home Sassy. The best thing again we walked about 20km+ without even noticing. That night we checked the Big Blow hole which is Kiama's must see. Water shoots up about 60m, and of course we waited and watched but nothing and as we turned around to walk back we hear oh wow and woosh, missing everything. But either way we definetly had a wonderful day, and are definetly going to try to go back to Kiama before we leave.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Marks little friendsMarks little friends
Marks little friends

None were on me the whole day, but they sure liked mark
Super pretty birdsSuper pretty birds
Super pretty birds

Kiama has the best birds


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb