Batemans Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Batemans Bay
November 29th 2007
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Too much missed in between!

The only places we really should have stoped at are Wilson's Promontory National Park, and Philip Island to see the little penguins.

So our first bus ride in Australia. I don't know if i was still adjusting to being on the other side of the world or what but it was not enjoyable. I don't usually get car sick but I sure was close from this ride. There were a couple of hills and windy turns and the driver was driving a bit crazy but I am just glad it wasn't a long ride. So we arrived in the afternoon and had a long walk up a hill to get to our hostel but again another good one. They had camper vans for the rooms so totally private, nice big kitchen and everybody gets there own set of dishes so no cleaning up after anybody else. Which for us is such a relief since we are big clean freaks. We wondered around a bit but of course didn't do too much since everything in Australia closes at 5:00pm on the dot. Which i know is nice for the staff but so annoying for everybody else! The place is cute but not as cute as Kiama. We found out there's a cool beach close where you can get really close to kangaroos called Pebbly Beach. The hostel operates $10 rides everyday. So we deceided to try that out for the next day, but of course found out it was the guys day off. So we rented bikes instead to get there. Now everybody when we said we were going to bike gave us funny looks and would ask if we were sure we wanted to bike all that way. Now most of the time when people say its far, it's really not. But this time it was. The sun was blasting and we really didn't bring too much water or anything. We biked for a couple hours just to get to the turnoff where what felt like a million huge hills were waiting for us, and one huge down hill leading to the beach which was a relief but of course torcher for the way back. The beach was nice and thank god, there were tons of kangaroos just lying around on the beach. They were so tame we both actually got to touch them and a guy put his baby right in the middle of them, no big deal. So it made the big 40km ride worth it for sure. Man we were sure happy to get back after the ride, our butts hurt for 3 days after. They seriously need to put better cushioned seats on bikes. This was our first place we tried looking for apts and jobs. Apts there ranged about 400-800 a week. So no good. And we called a farm for picking but pay was no good and they only had camping. So we deceided to carry on to Melbourne. We caught a bus 10:00 at night and traveled all night for 10 hrs to arrive in Melbourne. Which we don't mind since technically its a free nights stay. This ride I was prepared with gravol but thankfully didn't need it but definetly should have grabbed another sweater cause it was freezing. So we really didn't get too much sleep but oh well. We booked into a yha but since we were so early couldn't get a room till later but were able to use the showers to get cleaned up. I have to say we really weren't impressed with melbourne. We checked out the market which is nice and big and has a lot of great things but as for everything else we saw it's pretty average. We did however get our first real hook up with jobs and accomodation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb