"Smoke without Fire”


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nangus
February 8th 2009
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Master ChefMaster ChefMaster Chef

Andy Cooking the provisions that Jason Brought
DAY 93


I was up at 6.30, but not early enough for the sun it was already up, Robert and Helen are in Sydney and Caroline and myself are charged with looking after the place.

I wouldn’t really have a clue what to do with a 6000 acre sheep farm, but the simple things like the house, the dogs and the chickens are easy.

We were expecting the day to be scorching and it lived up to expectations but not quite as hot as Saturday only by one or two degrees. The dogs were flopped out and spent most of their time tucked tightly against the house, staying cool, but occasionally they jumped in to the fish pond for a cool off and to watch they fish (Well they certainly aren’t quick enough to catch em!!).

We had some early calls this morning one from someone on firewatch asking for Robert, and after me explaining they were away for the weekend so I just took a message.

A elderly lady who lives down the road, phoned and said that as her eyesight was not what it was and would we give her a call if
On the VerandahOn the VerandahOn the Verandah

Robert and Helens Woodstock Verandah
we knew there were any local bush fires and I assured her I would.

Jason one of the farm hands came by early as he had done a feed on the sheep and said, he had to got in to Wagga Wagga for a meeting and we could have a BBQ this evening if we fancied it, and said he would be over at 6.00pm with his girl Sally.

Staying in someone else’s home is always difficult, not for any specific reason but we always like to make a contribution for our stay. So on our “day off “ from travelling, we decided to run the vacuum around, do a bit of dusting and generally get the home ready for Helen and Robert on their return. The worry I always feel is if we start having a bit of a clean, the house owner may say that its not our place to start “poking” around and tidying up.

Anyway we did, and I was nice to give something back.

This afternoon we got time to sit down and watch a great film, “Rabbit proof fence” it’s a good watch and I would recommend it for a
SallySallySally

Sally relaxes
rainy/snowy Sunday afternoon.

As it got cooler the dogs became livelier and more mischievous, poor old Toby always seems to get in trouble, Kimba just leads him astray and slinks off when she has got him in to trouble. Kimba does like to protect her territory, which is the front porch.

At around 5.30pm, I look outside and see a film of smoke drifting over the land, I go outside and take a sniff, there is definitely smoke on the wind. I have an honest concern for Helen’s and Roberts farm, god if they come back from Sydney and the place has burnt down , god imagine it.


I jump in to the patrol, and shot off down the track, then on to the main road, turning right on to Woodstock lane, which is no more than a dirt track, a mile or so long, I started to see an awful lot of smoke that filled me, full of dread.

I get out on to the parallel main road to Wogga and drive for around 10k’s looking for the source of the smoke, but no luck, and on route back try to raise Caroline on
Jasons BeerJasons BeerJasons Beer

Jason having a beer
the UHF but no luck again she must be outside. I get back and Caroline is on the telephone to a lady who had called the homestead just to check we are alright and that the smoke was coming up from Victoria, and if we had any concerns we could ring her.

While I was out Caroline telephoned Jason and he explained that the nearest fire was 35 kilometres away but the smoke that we were now surrounded by is coming from Victoria, so there is nothing to worry about.

Helen had explained to us both before we left that they were not worried about the bush fires too much as the house is not surrounded by trees, there is very little to burn here. One of the neighbours who telephoned the house, said put the sprinklers on, which can help.

We were both feeling calmer for knowing that the fire was not close and in the meantime Jason and Sally turned up and before long we had a salad made and some steak and sausages were cooking on the barbecue.

Watching the sun go down, it was an amazing perfect round ball of orange, I believe because of the smoke that was in the atmosphere. We had a full moon too; this also was a bright orange colour, what a spectacular sight. There were not many stars to be seen because of the smoke and the brightness of the moon.

Jason and Sally were excellent company, we had a great evening, they very kindly did the shopping and brought the food up, I think the nearest decent supermarket is probably 40 minutes away in Wogga.

We were sitting outside until about 11.00, the temperature was still in its 30’s and despite the insects it was pleasant to sit outside and chat.

Jason and Sally both had to get up early for work as Monday morning was looming, Sally commented, “I hate Mondays, even if you have had a quiet weekend, Mondays are still horrible” I guess that Monday morning feeling is a bit worldwide, despite the sunny disposition of the weather here.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.619s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 25; qc: 197; dbt: 0.3619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb