All aboard the love bus


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nangus
February 7th 2009
Published: February 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Love BusThe Love BusThe Love Bus

The love Bus before sun up

DAY 92

My damn body clock went off again and I was up and out of bed at 5.15, as Robert and myself were taking 13 Rams about 300 Kilometres to Crookwell. Robert had left some sheep off for agistment and we were taking 13 burley rams to sort them out ( If you know what I mean).

Helen was up and was a bright a breezy as usual and Robert was quietly eating his toast and sipping his coffee.

Last night I didn’t really sleep that well, I had a false start to the day when I got up and dressed, then looked at my wristwatch and it was half past three, so I reversed and got back in to bed, and I think I just didn’t want to be late for Robert as we had a commitment to take these Rams and I wasn’t going to hold him up. (For those of you that know Andy will know that he did something similar not so long back - he got up for work, filled the car with petrol and drove for about 40 minutes before realising that it was actually 1.00 in the morning!)
Hellooooo!Hellooooo!Hellooooo!

He's looking a little sheepish, before he meets the girls

Last night we were also concerned about Jack, one of the sheep dogs who was just not his doggy self, he lay on the lawn and was just listless. If he wasn’t better then Helen and Caroline were going to take Jack to the Vets whilst Robert and Myself went off with the Rams.

This morning Helen said Jack was still with us, which was a blessing and off to the vets he was going.

Robert and I walked out with Wally at our side, I thought to myself, that it would be nice to have Wally along for the ride, he is such a gorgeous dog, but I had not even realised he was here to work.

We when to the pen where the Rams were kept, Robert instructed Wally to round them up and Wally went to work, and in a flash they were all standing in the back of the truck. Thirteen Gorgeous lads (if you like that sort of thing) all weighting about 100 Kilo’s each.

The morning was still dark, so we jump in the truck, Wally jumps in thinking he is coming along for the ride, but Robert tells him
LongLongLong

Long and Winding Road
to get out and go back, he doesn’t so Robert has to get out and remove a very disgruntled Wally.

We are away, the morning is just starting and the sun is coming up, it has left all our friends on the other side of the world (not that they are seeing much of it at the moment!), and is now bringing light in to our lives. The weather forecasters have warned that today is going to be “Hot”, and they do mean hot, possibly 47 Celsius.

I am comfortable in the passenger seat, just watching the world go by, Robert and I chat about the type of land that is around us and all sorts really, he is a guy with a huge understanding of the world around him.

We get to our first drop at 08.58, and have to wait for someone to bring a key to the paddock where a couple of hundred ewes, are sheltering under tree and around the water dam. Five of the Dorset Rams get off the truck, looking for love, well not love just sex, and with all those pretty girls waiting they don’t seem that bothered, as soon
First DropFirst DropFirst Drop

Ding Ding, ! The love bus drops the first five its so hot they are Ram-pant
as they are off the truck their heads go down and they start eating. Still the way to a mans heart is through his stomach, and not his trousers. (I couldn’t possibly make any comment here)

We eventually drop off all the boys in various paddocks, with the same happening each time, I am glad Robert is pleased that his sheep are all looking fatter and in nice condition, so the agistment has been worthwhile.

I chuckle to myself; it’s like being a chauffeur, dropping off a load of sex maniacs at club 18-30.

Robert and myself are now heading towards Gunning where we are going to meet up with Helen and Caroline, they took Jack to the vets, he has a very high temperature and suffering a bit with the heat, so the vet will keep him a while on a drip to rehydrate him. “Poor Jack”, he is a lovely dog, very lovable too!

We get to gunning at around 1.00 pm and the girls have been there 15 minutes, the whole idea of this is Robert will get in the car with Helen and go off to Sydney for the weekend and Caroline
These FiveThese FiveThese Five

There is no urgency with these boys.
and myself will bring the truck back that we brought the Rams up in.

We had a great lunch, nice a simple, but I do lose my appetite when it is so hot. We finish then Caroline and I jump in the truck and hit the road, we have about 160K’s to go and it is baking, if you have the windows open the hot air swirls around your face and makes you even hotter. The air-conditioning does not work in the truck.

The drive is fairy swift and we get back at about 3.30pm. All the dogs are flaked out, in the shade; Wally who is the sensible one was left off his chain and comes to greet us.

The day carries on been baking hot and Jason, one of the farm hands pops by, we have a natter, he said that it was 47.1 degree’s on the porch here at the Woodstock homestead today.

We don’t sit down until 9.00 after doing bits and pieces, Caroline has a little to eat, but I just can’t face food.

We haven’t watched any television for 3 months (except a little at Christmas), the only thing
The famous FiveThe famous FiveThe famous Five

Off they trott
I miss is a good film, and tonight is Cliffhanger, with Sly Stallone an excellent film that I have seen before, but still looking forward to it, a film that has you hanging onto the edge of the sofa.

It’s a full moon and the sky is huge, we have put the dogs back on the chain after having them run around all evening, we had let Toby off but Helen said he has to be watched as he leads the others astray, unfortunately he reputation preceded him and after a short time he went off like a missile, taking Tiny with him. Caroline stood on the porch and screamed “Toby, Tiny, get back here” and almost immediately the two black missiles in the distance stopped in their tracks and turned to run back. Sheepishly (excuse the pun) they came back to the porch.

Tiny spent most of his evening standing in the pond, transfixed watching the fish, he ducks his head trying to catch one of the many fish but he has no chance. The pond is a favourite place for the dogs to cool off, poor fish, heaven knows what they think!

After the film
This FellaThis FellaThis Fella

This Fella has his eye on Ewe !!
and just before bed we go out to have a look at the night sky, so tired we can’t be bothered to get our southern hemisphere star chart out, we look at the temperature at 11.30 pm and its 34.2 degrees Celsius.

We hit the sack.

Ps. Something we forgot to mention, the price came through for the lambs that went off to the abattoir the other day, $89.60 per


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

This fantastic SceneryThis fantastic Scenery
This fantastic Scenery

This landscape is magnificent, and it seems to go on forever.!
Gunning Post OfficesGunning Post Offices
Gunning Post Offices

This beautiful old post office is looking for new owners, it would make a beautiful house.
Robert DrivingRobert Driving
Robert Driving

Robert driving the boys towards the girls.
ConcentrationConcentration
Concentration

Tiny the Sheepdog (Trixie's sister) concentrates on chasing fish in the pond.
HotHot
Hot

Trixie (Tiny's sister) relaxes, after all it is the weekend and it is another heatwave day here in Australia.
HotterHotter
Hotter

Kimba relaxes on the veranda, Mum to Tiny and Trixie.
WallyWally
Wally

Dad to Trixie and Tiny.
Plunge PoolPlunge Pool
Plunge Pool

The garden pond becomes a cooling off pond for the dogs on a hot day.


8th February 2009

Hot news
Seeing the news over here about the heat in Oz and the bush fires, I hope you two are not struggling too much. Snow or heat? I think i'd go for the snow at the moment!
8th February 2009

Struggeling
Hi Steve, Thanks for your message, we are not struggeling,we are on a 6000 acre sheep farm and the fires are a long way away. The smoke has drifted around 300K's and you can smell it in the air, but nothing serious. The weather has cooled today as they said it would, so its quite civilised. Having a wonderful life experience, you want to try it sometime. Andy

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb