Rest Stop 60km odd after Cobar, NSW - 1 night


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Cobar
October 26th 2016
Published: October 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

DSC_1943DSC_1943DSC_1943

Um, Cobar
Never knew a lot about Cobar, our main stop for the day. A quick stop at the local info office gave us the idea for a park for lunch, then Suz and I snuck off to do the next five nights of grocery shopping and to grab a coffee. I reckon we have spent more money on coffee than fuel this trip – first world problem.

After that we all headed off to check out a local Aboriginal site called Devil's Rock, an evil place. The whole experience was somewhat soured with the old mining shaft behind the rock formation (maybe around 10m x 10m) containing what looked to be a stolen Ford Falcon that had been burnt out...

The lookout at the current gold/copper mining operation was surprisingly impressive. A bloody deep open pit that has now started underground mining through a tunnel network. It has been a real interesting part of the trip, realising and learning about how much mining really goes on around the country.

That night we stayed at a rest stop and met two different fellas who were fellow travellers. John and his little dog Bundy, were nearing the end of a four
DSC_1942DSC_1942DSC_1942

Decent hole in the ground
year trip while Keith was on his way to his kids wedding. We had a good night, chatting away with a great fire after the good people in charge of the railway line we were next to had bulldozed a heap of trees that had dried out enough to burn well. As we were heading into our last few nights to be in a National Park, I loaded up the roof rack and cut up some extra wood to keep us going. I love the smell of a chainsaw in the evening!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb