Nangar National Park, NSW – 3 nights

Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Forbes
October 26th 2016
Published: October 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post


We headed through a couple of big towns as we finally started to head South. First stop was Narromine, the birthplace of Glenn Mcgrath, or so I presume from the statue of him in town. Another lunch in the park, a pitstop for booze and we were off to Goobang National Park. Actually no. That park is closed due to the recent floods and storms in the area.

So we decided to head toward Parkes and 'The Dish' where we stopped for a gander. An interesting spot and even more interesting as they provided quite a bit of detail about what the dish is looking at over the next few weeks.

We could see the devastation that the recent weather has had in the area as we drove through with trees down everywhere and damaged roofs and other property. Poor buggers.

We got into Nangar National Park around 3pm meaning we had time to setup next too the beautiful creek and kick the footy before sorting dinner out. All six of us had a crack. Pretty sure I won though... It is a great spot. Heaps of wildlife of all kinds and in a bit of a valley so the wind tends to stay high overhead.

Next morning we had the bright idea of going for a bush walk. Some genius had downloaded the maps of the park and picked one out only to discover once we were halfway through that a) it was long, b) it was steep and c) there was nothing to see at the end of it. So now we are knackered having walked eight kilometres through some very ordinary steep terrain. Whoops! My bad.

We had a look at the ruins in the NP called "Dripping Rock Homestead". Well, the homestead itself is long gone however the barn that was later converted to a school (during the second world war era) and had as "many" as 12 students during its peak. Hard to imagine now, with the schools having hundreds and thousands of students. It has been left to mostly go to ruin but was now home to some kangaroos and joeys. They cleared off as we wandered through to find that even though the place has been abandoned since around 1945, the fruit trees, oranges in this case, still are bearing fruit and look in great shape. If Suz or I even look at a plant it will immediately die so I have NFI how they survive out here unattended.

The whole of the NP is ours now. The older bloke moved on so it is just us, the kangaroos, wallabies, wallaroos, birds and goats. And flies and mosquitoes, but that has to be expected when camping next to a creek. More footy and chess saw out the day.

We think it is now Tuesday morning. Dad and Pia have headed back early to our place to get themselves ready for the onward journey back through VIC and onto Tassie. I think they just want a flushing toilet as the old hole in the ground is not quite what they signed up for. Hahahahahaha. My four will join them tomorrow night for a birthday dinner for Suz and we'll catch up with the Rigby's as well. Looking forward to seeing them and also our little pup, Bella. I expect she thinks we have abandoned her so I don't know whether to expect licky kisses or a bite on the knackers!

Suz, me and the kids saw Dad and Pia to the NP gate for a quick farewell

Dripping Rock
and then headed off for what we hoped would be a full morning of four wheel driving. Not quite the case. A couple of hundred metres up the first track – gate. 30 metres into the second track – gate. At the start of the next track – gate. FFS!!! But then we got onto the only 4WD track still open and had a good but short drive, eyeing off the view of the landscape and scaring the roos. Got back to camp after around an hour.

This will be our last full day of our trip so we'll settle in for a quiet afternoon of making rafts for the creek and planning our next trip.

And if the bloody yard arm would hurry up and tick over 12pm, I may even have a quiet brew :-)

The rest of the day was probably the most relaxed all trip, believe it or not. We sat around reading, playing cards and I took off on a hunch to the other side of the NP with the hope there may be another track. Nope – just two closed tracks. Aaaargh.

Next morning (Wednesday) we saddled up and headed

Carryover champion Grandad didn't lose a match!
home on a quick three-hour drive to finish the trip off. Needless to say, we had a blast and are looking forward to the next big trip.

The Victorian High Country looks like the go…


28th October 2016

Thanks for sharing your trip mock et al, such a great adventure!

Tot: 1.784s; Tpl: 0.053s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb