koalas, kangas (inc. aboriginal drawings), and the most easterly point of Oz


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
September 3rd 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset at ByronSunset at ByronSunset at Byron

We managed to time our arrival at the lighthouse for sunset, magical!
We finally decided that a week in Sydney was about sufficient (I don't think my budget/back could cope with much more shopping...) so we booked a flight (I know, I'll offset when I return!) up to Byron Bay. But before leaving Sydney we needed to see a few more things...

So first thing Sat morning we headed out to the suburbs to a koala park where we stroked a koala, they are so so so soft! And rather disappointingly, the myth that they get drunk on eucalyptus leaves was dispelled. But I did find out that they sleep for 18 hours a day, that's my kind of an animal! We also saw kangaroos and loads of other Oz-only animals and birds. It was fantastic. And some spiders, I'm getting much better with them! I managed to sleep last night despite there being one in our room. Eugh...

Anyway, after the wonders of koala world, we went to Robyn's and Jon's for lunch. They are family friends from St Albans, and Robyn (an aussie) plays in the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. We had a fantastic lunch at their beautiful house on the edge of the bush. And we saw our first aboriginal carving on the rocks behind their house. It was (with a bit of imagination) a kangaroo. It was great to catch up with old friends.

After lunch we had to say goodbye 😞 to friends and family and head off to the beach. We had a great flight (I'm loving those emergency exit seats!) to Byron Bay. After booking ourselves in the scummier of the two hostels and heading out to the main street to find nowhere open for dinner and loads of young Americans, drunken kids, we were not too impressed. I was downright grumpy! Anyway, as always, things look better in the morning, and they sure did this morning!

We changed to a lovely YHA hostel, with a heated pool and everything. It's great here. The sun was shining, and after a leisurely breakfast (HUGE!) with great coffee we went to the famous market by bike. They have free bike hire, how great is that! Luckily we had 'forgotten' to go to the cashpoint before heading out, so we had little money to buy things with. The market was a bit like camden market - just a hotter version!

Then we walked along (one of the many) beaches, which was lovely. And then we biked along to the lighthouse and the most easterly point of Oz and watched the sunset. Fantastic. And then the best bit was, of course, freewheeling down the hill back home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Susan at the most easterly pointSusan at the most easterly point
Susan at the most easterly point

Hanging on for dear life - it was very windy out east
Main beach at ByronMain beach at Byron
Main beach at Byron

Words can not describe...
The 7km beachThe 7km beach
The 7km beach

One of the many beaches at Byron Bay - this one is 7km long! Unfortunately it seemed to be covered in jellyfish the day we were there.
Stoked in ByronStoked in Byron
Stoked in Byron

How kind of them to name a shop after us...
Dozing KoalaDozing Koala
Dozing Koala

A koala doing what it does best - dozing away and hugging its food supply


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb