from one side of a continent to the other...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
September 6th 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's been a long few days since the last blog, and suffice to say our feet hurt!

We spent a wonderful few days in Byron Bay, we both LOVED the little town, the hostel, the beaches, the weather, the food, the free bikes, etc etc. Even the Byron spiders were cute little things. In case this sounds too ideal (and so you guys in rainy England don't get jealous) there were serious rainstorms which brought in the largest cockroaches ever. Eugh.

Anyway, after a fantastic and relaxing few days, we had to tear ourselves out of bed very early yesterday morning to greyhound it to Brisbane. Brisbane was alright. (Ok, Susan says more than alright.) I remain to be convinced. I thought it was all a bit of a concrete jungle, and the view from the south bank was a freeway. Nice. But to be fair to the town, everyone was lovely, the southbank itself was kinda cute, with a flower covered walkway, cafes and a city beach. We also went on the ferry down the river (as far as we could go for 5 bucks each), which was fantastic. Certainly a town to be viewed from the river! (Sorry Brisbane!)

Late in the evening we caught a plane to Perth, arriving very early this morning. We were slightly stunned to get on the plane and realise it took 5 and a half hours! So we did the only thing possible, and slept. I'm learning from the koalas... We had a very fun taxi driver into town at some awful hour in the morning, and installed ourselves in bed for a proper sleep.

Today we walked, and walked, and walked some more around Perth...forgetting the koala lessons (see earlier blog). Perth is a beautiful city, in my opinion, it did things right where Brisbane went wrong. The centre is small, low, pedestrianised, cute, albeit a wee bit kitsch in places. I did some more retail therapy (oops!) which was good fun.

We took the ferry over to the south bank (bit of a theme here...) and walked around and back, encountering some exotic (to us) birdlife on the walk back. Unfortunately the King's Park was spoilt by too much traffic and noise, but the views of town were still fantastic. One thing worth noting - there was a long set of very boring concrete steps from
Brisbane North BankBrisbane North BankBrisbane North Bank

with the lovely freeway along the front of it
the river all the way up to the Park, and there were LOADS of nutty Perthers running up and down the steps as though it was some kind of outside gym. Weird.

Enough talk - here are the pics...




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



7th September 2006

Wot still no waballies .... nice to have phone call yesterday ... carry on having fun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb