Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
March 30th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a two hour drive we arrived in Byron Bay. Byron Bay is a town in New South Wales on the eastern most point of the mainland of Australia and is a tiny place with a population of about 6,000. It's also known as a fairly bohemian town with lots of hippie locals and endless tourists and backpackers. We got collected and dropped at our hostel.

From there we had a bite to eat in the crazy kitchen of the hostel before meeting a few of the hostel locals. We met two English lads Darren and Dave first, followed by a bunch of Danish and Norwegian girls. After a few cups of goon (Very very cheap Australian wine) we hit town and headed to one of the two local nightclubs called Cocomangas. After a great night spent dancing we wandered home via the kebab shop. Who should we bump into but Simon (Of many previous places fame). After arranging to catch up again we hit the hay.

We spent much of the next day around the hostel. That evening we headed into the Northern Star Pub to watch Liverpool annihilate Arsenal 4-1. To celebrate we chose to head back to Cocomangas. Another good night was had by all.

The following day we decided we had better see some of Byron Bay and wandered around the town for a while. After that we took in the Sunday Hippie market. It was an interesting market selling just about everything a hippie could need. With a slow rock/jazz band playing and people dancing in their own wee world in one corner it felt like we had been transported to the sixties. We met up with Billy and Simon again that evening who were heading out for another night but we declined the offer and took an early night instead.

Feeling all the better for our early night we decided to walk from the hostel up to the Byron Bay lighthouse and take in the most easterly point in Oz along the way. The weather was fantastic and we stopped at Watego Beach to watch the surfers do their stuff.

From their we started the uphill climb to the lighthouse and the spectacular views from its most eastern point. After wandering around the lighthouse we had an ice-cream and headed back to the hostel. After catching sunset along the beach we decided to head out one last time and where better than Cocomangas. On route we bumped into Chris and Caroline from our Fraser trip (Small place Oz). After another great night and another kebab we hit the hay.

The next day was spent under a heavy hangover waiting around the hostel. Our bus was due to leave at the painful hour of 9.30pm.

Next stop Coffs Harbour...







Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb