Last Leg to Atlanta


Advertisement
North America
August 28th 2012
Published: August 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Not sure what time Ken woke me up. He had taken pictures of the sunrise. There was a barge coming down the river so I grabbed my phone and took some pictures. I hope no one else is up, because I am in my jammies! It's already 78 degrees and humid but there is a breeze. Ken made coffee and we sat outside. I put some cinnamon raisin english muffins in the toaster. Afterwards we took a walk around the campground. (I put some clothes on!!). There are two little lakes (actually inlets from the river) on the grounds. There is also a Tree house that is supposed to be just like Tom Sawyer would have built. Kids would love this. There are lots of bugs here....and I'm sweating. Ahh...I do love the dry west!

We packed up and got on the road about 9:30 am. We crossed the Mississippi river into Memphis, Tennessee but were only in Tennessee for a few minutes. We crossed over in to Mississippi. We have to take Route 78 south to Birmingham, Alabama. It's not an Interstate. Sometimes it takes you through towns, which means stoplights. Other times it is a divided 4 lane highway with lots of construction. I think it is going to be a long day.

Ken hates Mississippi. This road has a lot of construction. Sometimes it goes down to one lane and the one lane is new blacktop that is not wide enough so our tires on the right side are on one level and the tires on the left are another level. He is angry and rolls down the window and yells at the construction workers...as if they can do anything about it. Ken said he thinks Mississippi's goal was to tear up the entire highway 78 at one time.

We had heavy, constant rain for about 1 1/2 hours west of Birmingham. I took some pictures as we drove in to it. It turned out the roads in Alabama are worse than Mississippi. We are anxious to get to Atlanta.

We arrived in Atlanta about 5pm. When we arrived at the RV park that we had called about yesterday, the office was already closed. Diane, the office manager had said she would leave instructions for us, but she did not. There was a paper with an emergency number on it. We called it and left a message. We decided to drive around the park. It's not really a park; more of a trailer park. I had selected this place because they store RVs, but as we drove around, it was very depressing. It was really run down. It had a mixture of RVs and trailer homes or as Ken calls them "wobblies". We stopped and talked to a resident and told her our dilemma and she said just pick a place. We drove around and it was quite a challenge to find a spot we would want to stay in. We found one and it was very uneven and difficult to get in. As we were trying, we got a call from the emergency number and a guy told us to take lot #89. It was in the front right next to the pool and a dilapidated house and the trash. We were tired and it was starting to rain and it was easy to get in, so we did. As Ken got things ready, I took the truck and went across the street and picked up some rotisserie chicken and green beans. We wanted to watch the speeches by Ann Romney and Chris Christie. Ken hooked up the cable line and it didn't work. This is not surprising based on how this place looks. The Wi-Fi did work, so we watched it via Live Streaming from the FOX News website. It worked out fine. Afterwards we went to bed. It's so good to have air condition. It is so, so humid here.

We got up around 8:30; kind of late, but we are still getting used to the 3 hour time difference. Ken decided to go down the road to check out Stone Mountain State Park. He hated the park we were in; it was depressing. I got in the shower while he was gone. He came back and said he wanted to move; the park was beautiful. He went in the office and Diane didn't charge us anything. She apologized for forgetting about us last night. We quickly packed up and moved to the park. It is only about 5 miles from where we were. I had to call 'Patty' who was showing us an apartment and let her know we were running late. She said no problem.

The Stone Mountain Park is beautiful. Everything is done first class. We will need to bring the girls here sometime. Check it out: http://www.stonemountainpark.com/

We found our campsite; right next to the lake. We unhooked, Ken took a quick shower and we left to meet 'Patty'. I found the apartment on the internet. Here is a description:

Exceptional two-bedroom, one-bath, fully furnished apartment in quiet, tree-filled neighborhood. This is a completely stand-alone apartment inside private home with separate driveway and entrance. Apartment is on street level, and owners live on upper level (but travel frequently).

I have posted pictures. We loved it. If felt right. We enjoyed meeting Patty and she felt very comfortable with us.

We had another appointment to see a loft in the Atlanta Station area. We met 'Aty' and took us to the rental office. It is a high rise building of lofts. The first thing I notice is the smell. It stinks, but I can't really place what it is. It definitely smells like an apartment building. We meet the lease manager and tell her what we are looking for. She takes us across the street to another building. I'm glad, thinking maybe it will smell better. As we enter the building, it stinks too. As we entered in to the 2 bedroom loft, it stunk really badly. I asked about it and they said it was because the water traps needed water in them. It wasn't that; it smelled like garbage. Then we found out they have a garbage shoot on each floor. That's what it smelled like!!! We asked about noise control. She said you will hear other people. Ken and I talked about it and decided that the high rise living was not for us. We lived in a condo once and didn't like it.

We really liked Patty's apartment so we called her and sealed the deal. She was so nice, she said live here a month, then decide if you like it. We will get the keys tomorrow. She has a wonderful dog named "Hank" who already loves Ken. I feel so good now! It is only 4 miles from my new job.

Back to the RV to relax and watch a little TV. It is so humid that the windows in the RV are steaming up. Talked to Jason and Uncle Don.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



30th August 2012

Wish my apartment looks as cozy as your new place! May you continue to enjoy your new adventure!

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 39; dbt: 0.093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb