Rihla # 19 ( Response to High School Banned Books)


Advertisement
North America
February 21st 2012
Published: February 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post


• What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?
• Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.
• What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why?
• Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach?
• If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.
• Any other additional thoughts or comments?


Unfortuntely, I was never aware of book banning in high schools. This is because, as the article says, banning books is not acknowledged by the media and remains unreported to the public. Some of the reasons that books are banned are because they talk about sex, homosexuality, drinking, drug abuse, and contain vulgur language. I agree with all of the reasons for books to banned; however, i do not agree with the interpretation of the reasons. I have read a handful of the books on the list. As I read the reasons why the books we banned, I thought that those books were not inapproipiate for a high school student to read. The idea that the book A Brave New Worldis not acceptable to read is shocking to me. The thought that it contained sexual content never crossed my mind when I read the book. For that reason, I believe that it is the interepretation that puts books on the Books Banned or Challenged list.

I believe that it is parents who pressures teachers on what they should or should not teach. Many of the reasons why books are listed is because parents think the content is not appropiate.

To fight against book censorship one could do several things. There is a saying that strength comes in groups. With that said, one thing that could be done is to work with community groups. A person could speak to organizations and ask for support in keeping First Ammendment rights active. Or a person could ask if he or she can contribute an article to the group’s newsletter or website.

I have no additional comments.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 994.3kb