Post Apocalyptic Planet of the Deers


Advertisement
North America
November 25th 2008
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Before heading off on a roadtrip, Andre had to go into town and sate his unquenchable thirst for shopping. Every time he plays golf he thinks he should buy a new set of clubs rather than hiring. He'd have a garage full if he was allowed. I think he may have been born with one too many x chromosomes.

Once Andre had bought a $500 jacket and we had gone for a tour of Calgary downtown it was time to get ready and head south. Andre and I headed to the airport and hired a Ford Escape 4wd. It was bright and shiny red like a fire engine. It had actually only done 19kms so was essentially brand new. Andre was excited, it was like a new toy. We picked up the girls and did a big grocery shop. Lots of food excites me. I had to buy crunch and munch popcorn to show Andre, it is a taste sensation. Can't remember if I've already mentiond that in my blog, but I will miss it when I leave Canada.

After a few hours of driving South, we stopped at a riverbank, and ate a quick lunch whilst trying to stay warm. The river was mostly frozen over. Winter was on its way. Actually before Lisa and Andre arrived I had to walk to work in the snow, one to tell the grandkids.

Once at our first days destination - Waterton, we visited the Prince of Wales hotel. A few months earlier when we passed through it had been a hive of activity. Today in the freezing cold winds it was barricaded with no one in sight. As we drove into the township we quickly realised that more and more shops and businesses were boarded up for winter. It was essentially a ghost town. In the end only one hotel and one restaurant was open. There were more deer in the streets than people. It was like a post apocalyptic sci-fi movie where crazed deers had taken control of the town. We checked into the one and only open hotel and went out for a walk. We skimmed stones, found a tyre swing and probably abused Andre until we thought it was time to pay the restaurant's bar a visit. Whilst having a few local ales we watched the most amazing sunset. The strong winds had distorted the clouds making them alien-like. Maybe the crazed deers had a hand in it. After a few drinks we headed back to the hotel and made dinner and washed it down with a beer, well I did, Andre fell asleep on the couch like the grandad that he is. Lisa, Nic and I played name the song from Lisa's iPod. It's good having Lisa around she is always a starter for my stupid games.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb