Rick and the rock


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
November 22nd 2008
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=W5Rmhtd4_EE]Former London flatties Lisa and Andre decided that on their way home to NZ from the UK they would stop in Canada and spend a few weeks with us. They arrived bearing good news that they were engaged. The big rig popping the question in Holland in a town bearing his last name: Van Sintmaartensdyk. I think I spelt that right. Lisa you better start practising now.

Before I tell you about their trip, I need to start with the night before their arrival. Rick, a mate from University, who like Nic and I had a year visa in Canada and was living nearby in Banff had come into Calgary for the weekend. It was a good weekend for sport, we watched the All Blacks win and then the Kiwis beat the Aussies in the Rugby League World Cup Final. I can tell you why the Kiwis won, firstly because of our support from thousands of miles away and secondly because of our guy singing the national anthem - Geoff Sewell. He was a blonde haired skinny guy kitted out in a Kiwis jersey. After belting out the anthem, he paused for a few seconds then basically screamed out "Come on New Zealand" whilst flexing his non existent biceps. It was patriotic, it was comical, it was a little tragic, whatever it was though, it worked. The Kiwis played a great game and were deserved victors. What ensued after the game was a disgrace. Firstly Darren Lockyer, the Australian captain was named man of the match after they'd been well and truly trounced. Then Ricky Stewart the Australian coach pissed and moaned that the game had been rigged by the referees. Such blatant disrespect was not tolerated and Stewart rightfully lost his job. What a plonker. Rick and I were screaming and hollering as we won and decided to celebrate by having a mid winter bbq. So we dined on shrimps, steak and beer whilst snow fell around us. A memory that will stick with me for years to come.

Ok, back to the future, the following morning the snow had abated and the skies were blue. We all walked down to the park and played some frisbee, at stages losing it completely under the snow. Before long we turned our attention to making an igloo. Things were coming together nicely before an ill placed snow chunk saw it capitulate. Then it was pile-on time, Rick pulling out some elaborate dives/face plants. I think the cold weather must have turned Rick a little crazy as on the way back whilst we were all lobbing rocks into a pond to try and crack it, he picked one up and threw it as hard as he could. It bounced once, twice then it started hurtling towards a parked car's window. Ricks face was a contorted startled mess as he watched it careering towards the car. Luckily for him at the last second a thin fence diverted the rock and saved him any blushes. Rick is notorious for moments of insanity; I’ll fill you in on some in the following months.



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 26; qc: 125; dbt: 0.2052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb