10 Days at Fly Fishing School


Advertisement
North America
May 18th 2007
Published: May 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our Biggest Catch - Bar Z X Ranch 001Our Biggest Catch - Bar Z X Ranch 001Our Biggest Catch - Bar Z X Ranch 001

We caught 52 fish today ! The largest was Patti's 10.5 LB. and Bill's 9.6 Lb. trout. What a fun day !
We arrived at Pacachupuk at Ridgeway, Colorado. Our spot was right on the Uncompahre River. Our Fishing guide and instructor, Dustin Harcourt really knows what he is doing and has his work cut out for him. Bill has always said that his way of assuring that he catches fish is to throw in a stick of dynamite and use his net to catch them on their way down! However, he is doing much better than I thought he would. He has really taken to this fly fishing and practices his casting all the time. We go out early in the morning and sometimes don't get back until dinner time or later. He loves catching the fish. Most of them we release so that we can catch them again at a later time. Our freezer, however is full of the wonderful trout that we intend to eat.

I am attaching pictures of our biggest fish so far. With Dustin at the Bar Z X ranch we caught 52 fish in about 5 hours. Bill caught a 9.6 lb. and Patti caught a 10.5 Lb. trout. We tied our own flies and then caught fish with them. It was very exciting.
Fly Tying with Dustin 002Fly Tying with Dustin 002Fly Tying with Dustin 002

A little fishing, a little fly tying, a little wine.............shared with Dustin..... !
They were German Brown, Cutthroat, and Rainbow trout. All the fish we caught that day, we released back into the stream.

We had a great time fishing with Dustin. He is a very knowledgable guide and he knows where to find the fish. We hope a little of his knowledge was imparted to us before he left. Now it's practice, practice, practice to improve our casting techniques. It has been a great experience overall and we look forward to the fishing we have coming up in the next 3 months!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Patti's fish at the Bar Z X Ranch with DustinPatti's fish at the Bar Z X Ranch with Dustin
Patti's fish at the Bar Z X Ranch with Dustin

This one isn't big enough ! Return him to the stream and catch his brother!
Fly tying with Dustin - 019Fly tying with Dustin - 019
Fly tying with Dustin - 019

It really helps to hold your mouth just right when tying beatles !


Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb