North & West to Flaming Gorge, Utah


Advertisement
North America
May 31st 2007
Published: May 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

First Day Green River - 003 First Day Green River - 003 First Day Green River - 003

First Day on the Green River we each caught 3 fish. Had to carry everything including lunch in our pockets.
We arrived at Flaming Gorge on 5-29-07 to fish the Green River. The Green River is known for white water rafting as well as being one of the nation's top places for trout fishing.

The first day we fly fished the river where we could walk knee deep. The Little Hole area was recommended by our good friend, John Harcourt. We each caught fish but the water was very swift and challenging. We went home very tired.

The second day we went to the bottom of the dam, rented a float Pontoon for two people and down the river we went! We caught quite a few fish, but the ride down the gorge was the most beautiful scenic trip. It was a 7-1/2 mile, 5 1/2 hour trip. Photos are attached.

Our guide broke my new fly rod the first day there and had to send it off for repairs. They gave me a replacement rod for me to use during this trip until mine is repaired. It will be a few weeks until I get the new one back. We toured the dam and took many pictures on the third day! Beautiful spot !

By
Flaming Gorge BridgeFlaming Gorge BridgeFlaming Gorge Bridge

This bridge is an amazing structure.
the way, the picture of Patti and the fish - that is not her stomach showing - that is lunch for two packed in the pocket of her sweatshirt!!! Hey ! Anything to prevent wearing a backpack and having severe backache at the end of the day !


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Flaming GorgeFlaming Gorge
Flaming Gorge

The gorge itself is 91 miles long and it is full of wild animals and birds along with the swift Green River and many fish. It is the beginning of the northwestern mecca for fly fishing. From here north to the Canadian border is considered trout fishing paradise!
Flaming Gorge LookoutFlaming Gorge Lookout
Flaming Gorge Lookout

From here everything looks so massive. We are thousands of feet above the dam and the gorge at this point. What a beautiful site !
Flaming Gorge and Red Canyon LookoutFlaming Gorge and Red Canyon Lookout
Flaming Gorge and Red Canyon Lookout

The state park here is quite a site as well as the surrounding beauty of the area. This is a beautiful place!
Floating the rapids and fishing the Green River 2nd DayFloating the rapids and fishing the Green River 2nd Day
Floating the rapids and fishing the Green River 2nd Day

This was a very exciting trip. Patti was the oarsman and Bill fished. Patti was exhausted at the end of the day and Bill was elated! The rapids are swift and the raft hard to control for one little female..........did catch fish though.
The flaming gorge damThe flaming gorge dam
The flaming gorge dam

Here is where we started the journey on the raft. It was quite the journey let me tell you. Moments of quiet peacefulness catching fish to moments of stark terror through the rapids!
2nd Day - Fishing and rafting the Green River2nd Day - Fishing and rafting the Green River
2nd Day - Fishing and rafting the Green River

Bill caught many fish today ! Most of them we released back into the stream so that we can catch them again when they are bigger. Most of them are 16 - 18 inch trout. You can only keep them if they are over 22 inches or under 15 inches.


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb