Blaze of Glory


Advertisement
North America
March 23rd 2018
Published: April 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Revelstoke is our next stop after Sun Peaks. When we planned this trip it was probably my top pick of ski resorts in Canada. We have 6 days skiing here.

We're not particularly lucky with the weather as there hasn't been much recent snow despite it normally dumping snow here (it gets about 11m every year), but that's just a part of any ski trip. It also has a reputation for steep runs and has some of the best vertical of anywhere in NA. One of the runs here is called "Glades of Glory" which gives me the title for this blog entry.

Even without ideal conditions it is still very good skiing here. We get a small top-up of snow each night and on Thursday overnight about 15cm fresh snow on the higher runs, so do have 2 excellent days. This snow falls as rain below 1500m which kills the lower runs, but this doesn't really matter as we only ski these on the way to lunch at the end of the day.

The longer we stay here the more I like it here. Although there are only 3 lifts here the skiing potential here is fantastic with open snow bowls and some great gladed areas. To be honest much of the stuff here is too extreme for me but plenty is manageable when the snow is this good.

I also like Revelstoke town. It's a proper town, not just a resort, that was built to serve a junction on the Canadian-Pacific railway. It's only 5km away from the lifts and there is a shuttle bus from town, free for anyone staying in a hotel. The local here seem friendly enough - on our 1st day a guy pulls up at the bus stops and offers us a lift to the base station. There are also plenty of good places to eat in town - not just the expected burger joints. There are 2 Japanese restaurants one of which is excellent and a Vietnamese which is also very good. The Last Drop is attached to our hotel and is not a bad bar with events and live music on every night. On Tuesday they have a pub quiz and we surprise ourselves by managing 2nd place despite scoring 0/10 on their music round (lots of modern Canadian bands). We don't win anything but the winning team buy us a consolation round of drinks which is a nice gesture.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.2kb