Tennessee


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 3rd 2015
Published: August 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Tennesee is a fun place to visit, with lots to do and see.

We started our journey in Memphis, the home of "The King". It was very touching to see Graceland and learn how important Elvis was in shaping the history of music. Also to get a feel for his life that ended all too soon. Not to mention seeing the1970's decor. Oh yeah! It was one of those must dos.

From Graceland we visited the "Peabody Ducks", a tradition that started in the 1930's, where ducks, used once as decoys during hunting, were put in the fountain at the Peabody Hotel as a joke. Well the tradition continues, with the marching of the ducks twice a day....so much fun! And what a crowd!

After bidding farewell to the ducks we did a trip on a Paddleboat up and down "The Mighty Mississippi", on the River Queen. It is one of the longest rivers in the world and touches 31 states. Cargo continues to be transported up and down the river via barges and tugboat. It is a very economical way to move large quantities. The trip was AWESOME and the guide was super informative.

From the boat we went to a "ball game", the Memphis Redbirds Vs the Oklahoma Dodgers...YAY the Redbirds won 9-0.

After some Honky Tonking, we hit Nashville, the home of the Ryman Auditorium and the Grand Ol Opry. So many Rock n Roll greats laid the foundation of their careers there and also the place where Elvis was told not to quit his day job!!!!! What the... I guess that person swallowed his or her words! We also went to the Country Music Hall of Fame, Americans love their country music!

From Nashville we found ourselves in Lynchburg, the home of Jack Daniels Bourbon Whiskey. We took a free tour and visited the cave springs where Jack made his first batch of whiskey in 1866, using the same 5 ingredients that they use today, including the same spring water. We weren't however, able to taste it, as it is produced in a dry county.

From Lynchburg we needed to get the adrenalin pumping, so we went to Lake Ocoee for some of the finest White Water Rafting on the East Coast. Around 350,000 people have rafted down the river since May this year, (there are 22 rafting companies) so we picked the right spot. It certainly made our adrenalin pump after navigating some category 4 rapids with our very experienced guide. It was brilliant!

So needless to say it has been an action packed week.

We are living the dream, albeit, a little tiring!

Stay well Y'All xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb