Hot, hot, hot!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 27th 2015
Published: July 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hey Everyone,

After experiencing the everchanging scenery of Utah we started our long journey towards New Orleans. We were however surprised, when we came across Montezuma Castle in Arizona, which was a dwelling built and occupied somewhere between 1100 and 1400 by the Southern Sinaguia people. The dwelling sits on a cliff recess about 100 feet (30 metres) off the ground and was extremly interesting to see.

For the majority of the next couple of days we spent driving across the relatively uninteresting scenery of Arizona and Texas, where someone had a warning from the local law enforcement...oops! We had a brief stop at El Paso, where we decided not to cross the border due to safety conerns, through Kerrville and were then rewarded with a few nights of R and R at the San Jacinto RV Park, Houston, Texas, which was just what we needed! Extensive travel is exhausting, particulary when you are moving most days.

The weather has also been super hot since Nevada, where we experienced temperatures of 118 fahrenheit (48 celcius), but are currrently averaging around 97 fahrenheit (36 celcius) and it is very humid and not so pleasant....bring back the snow!

After Texas we arrived in New Orleans for a couple of nights, where we found the people to be very friendly, often addressing you as Maam or Sir. Actually, people have been very hospitable everywhere we have visited.

We explored The French Quarter including Bourbon Street with all of it's live music and bars. The music scene was amazing, it's always fantastic to feel the music flow through you. You know the feeling, when you just can't help tapping your feet! Many musical greats like Louis Armstrong and Harry Connick Jnr were born here and many more musicians established themselves in New Orleans.

We then did a City Tour to get the cultural and historical feel of the place. Visiting places in the City that were most affected by Hurricane Katrina, in some areas the water levels reached 18 feet (that's 3 times our individual height!). After rebuilding, many houses are now on stilts, the height that the water reached.

We also saw many unusual cemeteries, known as Cities of the Dead, where familes bury their loved ones in Mausoleums. This is the burial solution they have come up with, as the bodies often returned to the surface when buried underground, due to the city being at or below sealevel...bizarre!

After leaving New Orleans, we crossed the Lake Pontchartrain bridge, which is 23.8 miles long, the second longest bridge over water (which is just under 40 kilometers). This was on our way to Tennessee, where the next part of our adventure begins.

So until then, Take care Y'All. x


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb